• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldMarine
    started a topic ATI 8.28.8 FC6 2.6.20 driver install

ATI 8.28.8 FC6 2.6.20 driver install

Hi Everyone
    I have tried not to make this post. I have a Dell C600 (well actually 12 of them) one with FC6 2.6.20-1.2952.fc6 as an OS and ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02) for video hardware on all 12. I would like to use 2.6.20 on all (FC5 is just a little dated). Firefox and Google earth are just to slow with the open drivers. As far as I can see that leaves 8.28.8.

I read all the posts and installed all the packages. I make all the simbolic links and tried both the direct package install and the –buildpkg option. But I must have forgotten something. I just can't find it.

The output from the /use/share/fglrx/fglrx-install.log

[root@jimalap fglrx]# more fglrx-install.log
    [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    initializing...
    cleaning...
    patching 'highmem.h'...
    assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
    Assuming default VMAP API
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686'
    CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:180: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘mlock’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:180: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘addr’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:180: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘len’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:182: warning: return type defaults to ‘int’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘_syscall2’:
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:182: error: expected declaration specifiers before ‘_syscall2’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:215: error: parameter ‘__ke_debuglevel’ is initialized
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:216: error: parameter ‘__ke_moduleflags’ is initialized
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:219: error: storage class specified for parameter ‘__mod_author219’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:219: error: parameter ‘__mod_author219’ is initialized
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:219: warning: ‘__used__’ attribute ignored
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:219: error: section attribute not allowed for ‘__mod_author219’
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:220: error: storage class specified for parameter ‘__mod_...

And The End Of The Install Log After Many Err And Warning Messages

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:180: error: parameter name omitted
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:180: error: parameter name omitted
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4049: error: expected ‘{’ at end of input
    make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686'
    make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
    build failed with return value 2
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

It looks like firegl_public.o is missing something. I am at the end of what my meager coding abilities allow. If someone could point me in the right direction. I would much applicate it.

Thanks

• lenrek
    replied
    Glad to know it works for you.

Compiz? Good luck for you on this! All these talk about Rage128 just makes me want to dig up my old card and see if I can still get it working...
    Last edited by lenrek; 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OldMarine
    replied
    Boys the build worked great. The link http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building is just what the doctor ordered. I followed the direction on the page and it works better than the default load. Direct Rendering works and the box just feels better. Even things that are not GL. The only difference from your instructions was to use the linux-dri-x86 build directive instead of the linux-dri and added "DRI_DIRS = r128" to the linux-dri-x86 file to limit the number of card types that would be supported by the driver.

I don't have much hope for compiz but I think I will try it just to see.

Thanks Everyone.
    Last edited by OldMarine; 06-21-2007, 05:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OldMarine
    replied
    Xipeos git is a great little program. Thanks I have used rpm and yum in the pasted. Left the make running. I will have to go to work now. I'll move the files to /usr/lib when I get home and leave a post. Thanks Later

lenrek as soon as we work out this little thing with Direct Rendering I test it and see how well it works and post. There are a lot of the old Dell boxes out there going by the number of post.
    Last edited by OldMarine; 06-20-2007, 06:48 AM. Reason: Edit for lenrek

Leave a comment:

• lenrek
    replied
    Originally posted by OldMarine View Post
    Here is the Xorg.0.log ...
    From your Xorg.0.log file, your DRI should be fine. I suggest download the mesa via git (as stated in Xipeos post).

By the way, It seems ALGIX able to load (eventually). This seems possible to run Compiz, but I am not sure how the performance will be...

Leave a comment:

• Xipeos
    replied
    I can't find the source code directory. I did a

"find / -name "Makefile" -print >laplist"

That should have been every Makefile on the box with a path saved in laplist.

"grep mesa laplist"

on matches

You have any ideas as to something in the path?
    How did you download mesa? Either get latest development version with "git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa" (this will create a "mesa" folder in the current directory) or download the latest stable from http://www.mesa3d.org/ . I don't think it matters which version you use for the r128, but either way the Makefile is in the new folder created by git/tar.

I have little experience with RPM, but there should be an rpm src package that installs the sources in /usr/src

Leave a comment:

• OldMarine
    replied
    I can't find the source code directory. I did a

"find / -name "Makefile" -print >laplist"

That should have been every Makefile on the box with a path saved in laplist.

"grep mesa laplist"

on matches

You have any ideas as to something in the path?
    Last edited by OldMarine; 06-20-2007, 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Xipeos
    replied
    The delete worked but I have not found the Makefile for linux-dri. That same Makefile should have linux-dri-x86. Here is the website:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building
    There's just one makefile. In the mesa3D root directory, you can just type "make" to get a list of possible "configs".

Leave a comment:

• OldMarine
    replied
    Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
    If Xorg.log shows no error, then you have an incompatible libGL.
    Run
    Code:
    # find /usr/ -name "libGL.*" -exec rm '{}' \;
    Then compile/reinstall Mesa3D with "make linux-dri". I recommend that you modify some of the config files before compiling, to better suit your system (such as DRI_DRIVER_INSTALL_DIR in config/default)

EDIT: you don't have to compile/reinstall the dri drivers if they are recent, so "make linux" will do. Also, the # means run as root, don't type it
    The delete worked but I have not found the Makefile for linux-dri. That same Makefile should have linux-dri-x86. Here is the website:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building

Edit: I also installed the Mesa3D source from http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=Mesa

mesa-6.5.1-9.fc6.src.rpm
    Last edited by OldMarine; 06-20-2007, 02:18 AM. Reason: add link

Leave a comment:

• Xipeos
    replied
    Your Xorg.log shows no DRI problem (the part that you posted at least - use something like pastebin.com for large posts) so I assume (again) that it's a libGL problem.

Did you try the solution that I proposed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X