Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Ati does not develop the OSS drivers themselves. They never did, they never said they will do, they don't actually *need* to do this. All they said is that they will release specs for the community to peruse at its leisure.

    The fact that they are hiring people is indeed a big deal.
    If they add, say, 4 more developer, they (AMD) won't bankrupt, right? And then they'll have many advantage with it. Think that's worth it. Dunno how the way they think

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mr James View Post
      I got a lousy 3 gigabyte per month limit 3G mobile broadband for a ridiculously expensive price. Can't get ADSL in the country I reside in currently...
      With slow dog connection, right? Hm....ndonesia??

      Comment


      • Originally posted by t.s. View Post
        If they add, say, 4 more developer, they (AMD) won't bankrupt, right? And then they'll have many advantage with it. Think that's worth it. Dunno how the way they think
        They could add 20 more developers and people would still complain. So why waste the money?
        Unfortunately it's also the case of that sometimes, too many developers can be a bad thing - sometimes you need a small core group to bring cohesion to the project until it's in a more suitable state.
        Then, of course, you need people who know what they're doing as well - but I'm not sure that's such a big problem for them.

        Not saying any of that does or does not apply to AMD's open source drivers, just wanted to illustrate that it's not always as easy as throwing developers at the problem.

        Comment


        • I'm a current nvidia user(an old yet quite a capable geforce 7600 card) and I never had problems with it. But it's time to upgrade now, and I'm considering AMD too, because I have AMD CPU and I had an ATI card long ago, prior to switching to linux.

          I'm choosing between newly released Geforce GTX 570 and Radeon HD 6950. Both have their pros and cons. according to the reviews nvidia's gpu has more potential since it has a better geometry block, while AMD has a good performance in today's games and is cheaper and also will match my CPU. The thing is though that when it comes to linux, with NVIDIA I'm qute sure about drivers quality(I also use NVIDIA at work on my linux workstation, 3D is nice and slick), I get this newly released gpu accelerated flash videos, opengl performance is proven to be very good. When it comes to AMD, I hear about problems, in fact I already experienced some on my Radeon HD 4290 - which is integrated to my motherboard.
          Then there is this games-on-wine issue. I don't agree with what people say here, that it's a too stretched goal, the programs that are designed to run on Windows shouldn't necesserily work smoothly on linux. From what I understand with Wine all DirectX is translated to OpenGL, and because of nature of such translation, it can be quite rigorous - which as a result exposes bugs in a driver. I don't blame anyone for bugs, as I am a programmer myself and I know what it is like, but let's not deny them at least.

          So what would you advice me towards the choice on my next GPU? AMD appeals to me a lot with their politics(giving specs to the opensource developers, supporting open standards like OpenCL etc) while the situation on linux kinda puts me off. I am certainly ok with the fact that it isn't all working right now, but the overall situation is improving. But of course I have no desire to wait and fight with bugs for years until my GPU gets obsolete...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by eldar View Post
            So what would you advice me towards the choice on my next GPU?
            an amd one.

            the most interesting think for linux is the radeon OS linux driver.
            but the 6970 is really new and a new gpu architecture.
            the 6870 is the old architecture and no OS driver yet.
            amd fusion/hd5870 is fine right now i think the 6870 support comes next month and the 6970 support needs more than 3months.

            why not buy an amd card with OS driver support right now without waiting ?


            the 5870 do have a price drop in germany 220? now.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

            Comment


            • Originally posted by eldar View Post
              I'm a current nvidia user(an old yet quite a capable geforce 7600 card) and I never had problems with it. But it's time to upgrade now, and I'm considering AMD too, because I have AMD CPU and I had an ATI card long ago, prior to switching to linux.

              I'm choosing between newly released Geforce GTX 570 and Radeon HD 6950. Both have their pros and cons. according to the reviews nvidia's gpu has more potential since it has a better geometry block, while AMD has a good performance in today's games and is cheaper and also will match my CPU. The thing is though that when it comes to linux, with NVIDIA I'm qute sure about drivers quality(I also use NVIDIA at work on my linux workstation, 3D is nice and slick), I get this newly released gpu accelerated flash videos, opengl performance is proven to be very good. When it comes to AMD, I hear about problems, in fact I already experienced some on my Radeon HD 4290 - which is integrated to my motherboard.
              Then there is this games-on-wine issue. I don't agree with what people say here, that it's a too stretched goal, the programs that are designed to run on Windows shouldn't necesserily work smoothly on linux. From what I understand with Wine all DirectX is translated to OpenGL, and because of nature of such translation, it can be quite rigorous - which as a result exposes bugs in a driver. I don't blame anyone for bugs, as I am a programmer myself and I know what it is like, but let's not deny them at least.

              So what would you advice me towards the choice on my next GPU? AMD appeals to me a lot with their politics(giving specs to the opensource developers, supporting open standards like OpenCL etc) while the situation on linux kinda puts me off. I am certainly ok with the fact that it isn't all working right now, but the overall situation is improving. But of course I have no desire to wait and fight with bugs for years until my GPU gets obsolete...
              I think AMD ie working hard, but right now I would not buy an Radeon HD 6950, to use on linux.
              Wait a few months.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                an amd one.

                the most interesting think for linux is the radeon OS linux driver.
                but the 6970 is really new and a new gpu architecture.
                the 6870 is the old architecture and no OS driver yet.
                amd fusion/hd5870 is fine right now i think the 6870 support comes next month and the 6970 support needs more than 3months.

                why not buy an amd card with OS driver support right now without waiting ?


                the 5870 do have a price drop in germany 220? now.
                To do that you got to have a distro like Arch or go Ubuntu to use the PPAs as no current main repo have the necessary kernel, mesa, and drivers that enable this stuff. That may not suit everyone. Especially since they are buggy.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  They could add 20 more developers and people would still complain. So why waste the money?
                  Unfortunately it's also the case of that sometimes, too many developers can be a bad thing - sometimes you need a small core group to bring cohesion to the project until it's in a more suitable state.
                  Then, of course, you need people who know what they're doing as well - but I'm not sure that's such a big problem for them.

                  Not saying any of that does or does not apply to AMD's open source drivers, just wanted to illustrate that it's not always as easy as throwing developers at the problem.
                  Ghee, I wonder why...

                  Comment


                  • uh...often because people have different coding styles, different opinions to how things are done, are at different levels of training, may not be aware of what everyone is doing - should I go on?
                    There's plenty of reasons why you can't just throw developers at a problem.
                    But then, I'm aware you're just trolling and being childish.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      the most interesting think for linux is the radeon OS linux driver.
                      but the 6970 is really new and a new gpu architecture.
                      the 6870 is the old architecture and no OS driver yet.

                      why not buy an amd card with OS driver support right now without waiting ?
                      I didn't quite get you, aren't both 68xx and 69xx a new gpu architecture, and the latter just being a bigger and more performant chip?

                      I don't want to go for 5xxx series simply because it's a year old, and there's no point in buying something that's been superceeded by a newer generation already. And I don't really want to rely on opensource drivers, because of their lack of proper OpenGL and OpenCL support. And things like KMS don't buy me at all, so I really want a good proprietary driver.

                      Originally posted by Gps4l
                      Wait a few months.
                      Well, again that's one more thing which may turn me away from ATI. NVIDIA has already released a driver for GTX 570 that came out a week ago. That's a level of support, that I would like to have. In 6 months AMD will already give us next generation of graphics cards and it becomes a joke to wait a few months for this generation to become fully functional. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X