Weird problem in game related to ATI?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problem in game related to ATI?

Hello, I have a problem which is probably related to my ATI Radeon 4200 card cause on another computer with nvidia card I don't have such issue. Maybe someone else had this also and might help me. The problem is present in only one game, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and also affect mod True Combat: Elite. The game is usually super smooth I got around 100+ fps mostly but in few places on maps (f.e looking thtu the glass windows in TCE) from time to time I got fps slowdowns to around 60-40 and then the mouse input lags and is slower around 1 second, it has kinda rubber feel. This is very annoying when you aim at somebody and got that mouse lag. I noticed that I get this lag also when I open internal game browser. I'm using Ubuntu Linux 10.04 tested this with stock Catalyst 10.5 and latest 10.6 installed from PPA repository. Every other game like f.e. Urban Terror, Assault Cube are smooth without any lags. It basically feels like the vsync would be on and the fps dropped below the sync limit, but checked for that both in system and game vsync is forced to off. I also tried turning off dgamouse in system, r_finish "1" in game which in theory could help in such situation but without any use. I also tested few mice models but this is not the case, compiz effects are of course off. I will be grateful for any tips regarding my issue. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Riotta View Post
    Hello, I have a problem which is probably related to my ATI Radeon 4200 card cause on another computer with nvidia card I don't have such issue. Maybe someone else had this also and might help me. The problem is present in only one game, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and also affect mod True Combat: Elite. The game is usually super smooth I got around 100+ fps mostly but in few places on maps (f.e looking thtu the glass windows in TCE) from time to time I got fps slowdowns to around 60-40 and then the mouse input lags and is slower around 1 second, it has kinda rubber feel. This is very annoying when you aim at somebody and got that mouse lag. I noticed that I get this lag also when I open internal game browser. I'm using Ubuntu Linux 10.04 tested this with stock Catalyst 10.5 and latest 10.6 installed from PPA repository. Every other game like f.e. Urban Terror, Assault Cube are smooth without any lags. It basically feels like the vsync would be on and the fps dropped below the sync limit, but checked for that both in system and game vsync is forced to off. I also tried turning off dgamouse in system, r_finish "1" in game which in theory could help in such situation but without any use. I also tested few mice models but this is not the case, compiz effects are of course off. I will be grateful for any tips regarding my issue. Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1827 and/or this http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1824 unfortunately I have no idea if/when those bugs will get fixed, 1824 is supposedly fixed but I don't think the fix has made it into released driver yet and I'm assuming 1827 is related.

Comment

Thanks at least for the direction, now I know that those bugs are known I also tested Quake Live and those rendering problems exist so this maybe the case, I will just wait then for the bugfix.

Comment

Originally posted by Riotta View Post
        Thanks at least for the direction, now I know that those bugs are known I also tested Quake Live and those rendering problems exist so this maybe the case, I will just wait then for the bugfix.
        my advise is buy a really comfortable chair, but i mean the real good stuff, cuz the wait will be anything but short

Comment

I've been noticing what sounds like the same problem for about a year now with ATI. I actually had to install a Windows partition just so I could play my game of choice (Urban Terror).

I've noticed that the "rubbery" feeling (great description) is not quite as bad with catalyst 10.10 (running on Arch), but it's still there.

Do I really have to buy an nVidia card to make this go away? I bought the ATI to reward AMD for opening up their specs. For whatever reason, the open source driver is nowhere near an option. Can't break 40 FPS or so on an HD4870 with Urban Terror?

Comment

Working...
          X