Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Yeah, if the edit timer had been longer I would have changed previous post to "appropriately wired connectors on the back", sorry. If the board vendor wires two connectors to the same sets of pins then you aren't going to be able to use those connectors independently.

In fluxion's case the card might be using the same GPU pins for dvi and hdmi; I haven't looked at the chip pinouts to see what the connector wiring options are.

Leave a comment:

• koshcu
    replied
    Hmm I thought there where some cards that could only handle 2 because of how the company had set the card up. The chipset could handle more just that card could not handle more.

I am pretty sure I ran into a few 5000 series cards that could only use one of hdmi or dvi at the same time + displayport.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    All cards using the "Cedar" GPU (53xx/54xx I think) should be able to handle up to 4 displays given enough connectors on the back. The other Evergreen chips (Redwood, Juniper, Cypress) should handle 6. Not sure exactly where driver status stands right now though.

Leave a comment:

• koshcu
    replied
    Originally posted by fluxion View Post
    5770 (MSI R5770)

displayport -> vga adapter -> vga cable
    hdmi -> hdmi cable
    dvi -> dvi cable

does only have 3 outputs but i was pretty sure all the 5770s could do 3 displays at once with the right setup, else i'll need to be returning this bad boy
    My guess is that card should support 3 displays at the same time. So you can get it working with any two outputs but not the 3rd? What kind of vga adapter do you have?

Leave a comment:

• fluxion
    replied
    Originally posted by koshcu View Post
    What card with what cables? I thought that some of the 5000 series can only do 2 monitors but have 3 outputs on the card and some can do 3 but have 4 outputs on the card and then there are the 6 ones that can do 6 monitors.
    5770 (MSI R5770)

displayport -> vga adapter -> vga cable
    hdmi -> hdmi cable
    dvi -> dvi cable

does only have 3 outputs but i was pretty sure all the 5770s could do 3 displays at once with the right setup, else i'll need to be returning this bad boy

Leave a comment:

• koshcu
    replied
    What card with what cables? I thought that some of the 5000 series can only do 2 monitors but have 3 outputs on the card and some can do 3 but have 4 outputs on the card and then there are the 6 ones that can do 6 monitors.

Leave a comment:

• fluxion
    replied
    Originally posted by fluxion View Post
    interesting....really hope this is the case. will try to update to 10.04 tonight (not sure how well that'll go given how slow the repo hosts are right now), but i'll try to provide an update on whether or not i can get 3 displays (1 dvi, 1 vga via displayport, 1 hdmi)
    no luck guys, need to disable 1 of the displays before i get the option to enable the 3rd display in CCC

Leave a comment:

• fluxion
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    no, the limitation is "maximum of two outputs with DVI/HDMI or VGA signals". Those formats require another bit of hardware for each output, and ATI didn't want to include 6 of those.
    true, sorry, i was thinking specifically about my card which is a bit weird as far as outputs (1 dvi, 1 dp, 1 hdmi, i.e. you need 1 active displayport device for 3)

I don't know if those VGA adapters are active, but I haven't heard about tunneling VGA over DP, either. Buying one to test before spending bucks on GPU + 4 adapters might be wise. That way you'll also see if their VGA signal is as good as you like it.
    agreed...even if i get lucky its still quite possible the adapters won't work on the eyefinity 6 card. sucks being guinea pigs but i guess that's the price we pay for buying shiny new things

Leave a comment:

• fluxion
    replied
    Originally posted by koshcu View Post
    If you look up http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+to+vga+active From what I could see on widescreengaming, stores sites and others the vga adapters are all active.
    interesting....really hope this is the case. will try to update to 10.04 tonight (not sure how well that'll go given how slow the repo hosts are right now), but i'll try to provide an update on whether or not i can get 3 displays (1 dvi, 1 vga via displayport, 1 hdmi)

Leave a comment:

• koshcu
    replied
    Yeah I have seen that page. All the VGA adaptors shown on that page are the same kind of design as the ones I found they say they are active in their descriptions on the manufacturer page. However most of the ones on that page are not actually shipping yet. These other ones I found are actually shipping right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X