X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinsane
    started a topic Getting 9.3 Legacy to work on newest release

Getting 9.3 Legacy to work on newest release

So I could totally be asking in the wrong place, but from all the places that I've looked, this one looks as good as any.

So- From what I've read, the 9.3 Catalyst is supported up to the 2.6.28 kernel and x-server version 1.52.

My poor laptop is running an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 and REALLY REALLY wants to leave windoze for the newest Linux kernel. The open-source drivers for my card are not sufficient for media, so I've been trying to find a way to get the 9.3 Legacy Driver working on the newest releases (kernel 2.6.31? and xserver 1.6?).

Since Linux and Xorg are open source, I figured that it is not outside the realm of possibility (for me anyways) to compile a version of each that will support both my card and the newer/sexier linux releases. Alternatively, if there was a way to repackage the 9.3 Legacy Driver so that it will utilize the newer versions of junk in an effective way, that would also be fine.

Unfortunately, I am just now getting into the wonderfully intimate world of Linux and Xorg, so I am not as familiar with it as I would like to be; as such, if anyone has attempted to do something similar or if somebody has some tips on where to start I would love some advice OR discouragement.

• ruwen
    replied
    Originally posted by randomas View Post
    I thought about moving back to debian stable (does 9.3 still work there?), but I'd rather not have to because it would be so much of a functionality regression to be close to unbearable.
    Maybe a little late but if another poor soul has the same problem: at the moment (see posting date) debian stable works fine with the 9.3 fglrx.

Leave a comment:

• randomas
    replied
    What a difference a minor version number change makes

WOW!
    the radeon modeset option at boot didn't work on 2.6.32, so I installed the 2.6.33 kernel and it switched to kms.

Now bloom and blur options don't phase the system at all!

There is however some form of regression with the lighting elaboration, because that seems to affect the system more heavily than before.
    Still I'm very impressed!

Thanks for all the help!

Now to install something more taxing and getting openvrml to compile on a 64bit system ... Gulp!

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    The kernel only enables KMS by default if it's compiled to. Otherwise you can enable it by passing radeon.modeset=1 on the kernel boot line. However, 2.6.32 may not have the changes necessary to support accelerated blit, so I would suggest using 2.6.33 anyway.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    If you want KMS the easiest route is probably an early build of Lucid. I think it's at Alpha 3 right now...

Leave a comment:

• randomas
    replied
    Well there you go ... I thought the 2.6.32 kernel used kms but it's still using userspace modesetting ...

[ 23.045582] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
    [ 23.152282] [drm] radeon defaulting to userspace modesetting.
    [ 23.153286] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
    [ 23.684124] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
    [ 23.684766] [drm] Loading R400 Microcode
    [ 23.740891] [drm] Num pipes: 2
    [ 23.740902] [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

Will upgrading to 2.6.33 change it to kms, or does it depend on other stuff too?

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    What is the output of 'dmesg | grep drm'?

Adam

Leave a comment:

• randomas
    replied
    Ok from glxinfo this is what I seem to be running.

OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV410 5653) 20090101 TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.8-devel

How do I know if I'm using kms or not?

Could you point me in a direction for a howto on getting this stuff to work?

I'm using the edgers ppa repo in ubuntu https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa there's package versions and dates and it all seems pretty recent.

ARB2 render path? Not knowing about these things makes me feel old ...

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    The bloom features work if you use KMS and a recent enough version of mesa. And, yes, doom3 runs. Not great, but it runs. You want to have that recent version of Mesa and use the ARB2 render path in doom3. I get roughly 30 fps in the timedemo.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• randomas
    replied
    Thanks bridgman.
    Ok so first off I was still using 9.04 ...
    I upgraded to 9.10 and ran a few qualitative tests:
    First up I ran open arena and it ran fine before and after the upgrade, but nexuiz was still a no go.
    Iupdated the kernel to 2.6.32 and used the edgers ppa for updated x server,drivers and mesa, tryed again and no change.

I started fooling around with the effects settings on the games and it turns out that any attempt to use bloom or blur effects reduces the games to a standstill. Once I discovered that and noticed that blur settings were on in nexuiz, everything started running normally!

So I take it that advanced shader and lighting effects are not implemented for r300 cards yet.

Do you think doom3 or quake4 will run?

Thanks again, now lets see if I can get that pesky AR app to work again ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X