AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by popper View Post
    Bridgman, you didn't comment on my other post above , did you miss the request to sort that missing OVDecode library, so people can at least start to look at testing that for video decode on AMD at least...
    I didn't think OpenDecode had been released for Linux -- AFAIK it is Windows-only right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post
      Btw, now I've a question: Since last friday, I'm not able to access to the official xvba-video download address anymore... (I've been trying to update xvba-video to version 0.7.7)

The site is giving a "404 not found" error...

Did it happen something to the address?
      It should be back online, the website suffered a failure.

Comment

• So far, so good

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
        It should be back online, the website suffered a failure.
        Thanks. I've just upgraded my xvba-video libs to 0.7.7 and I can tell you everything's working properly with both my personal laptop HD2600 (and Catalyst 10.7) card and with my desktop's HD4650 AGP card (and Catalyst 10.12).
        With this xvba-video version, I also found that the "segmentation fault" error when typing the vainfo command in the terminal was fixed (using the libva library from freedesktop.org).

Finally, thanks for reporting the problem with UVD1 video cards and recent catalyst versions (It'd be a nice new year present if ATI devs could fix the problem...)

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I didn't think OpenDecode had been released for Linux -- AFAIK it is Windows-only right now.
          any clue when(if?) it'll make it to linux?

Comment

• No, but we generally don't talk about future plans for Catalyst anyways.

Comment

• bridgman My question was probably lost in the thread, so I repeat it again - is it feasible to implement VDPAU on top of existing APIs XvBA or even using OpenCL for the purpose of getting accelerated Flash videos? Because VDPAU seems to be an open standard and it even has sources available.

Comment

• vdpau being an open api, given the proper knowledge and hardware access you could implement it on anything capable of video decoding.

it would be basically the same as what gbaouche did, except he used va-api instead of vdpau.

Comment

• I imagine implementing VDPAU on top of XvBA could be done (in the same way that gbeauche implemented VA-API over XvBA) but I don't know that anyone has looked at it. IIRC the VA-API spec has more API options which make it a better fit for implementing over another API.

I haven't looked much at the practicalities of implementing a decode API over OpenCL. It's definitely possible, but I'm not sure how well the two APIs match (ie how well the resulting stack would perform). Implementing a decode API over Gallium3D seems like a better option based on the (very) limited amount of time I have had to look at the options.

Comment

• But Gallium3D isn't what Catalyst uses, is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by eldar View Post
                      But Gallium3D isn't what Catalyst uses, is it?
                      Yes, it's true. Catalyst uses its own OpenGL implementation, not Gallium3D.

Using Gallium3D would cause a huge regression in 3D performance for Catalyst users and OpenGL 3D features (currently has only full OpenGL 2.1 implementation, I think ).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X