X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmbtech
    started a topic Unsupported Hardware watermark

Unsupported Hardware watermark

Hello, I have an xfx Radeon HD 5770 card, and I know its not fully supported by the latest fglrx yet, but modesetting and 3d works to a degree. Is there a way to get rid of the AMD Unsupported Hardware watermark, as I know its not fully supported?

• Brently
    replied
    I figured it out. I right clicked the ATI folder within the ETC folder and selected to open as Administrator. This allowed me to replace the control file and solved all my problems with the unsupported hardware logo. Thanks to all who helped.

Leave a comment:

• Brently
    replied
    I figured out the extraction with your directions. Like I said, I am a noob and I also didn't realize to change the directory in Terminal to the Desktop, where I had the .run file saved.

Now, when I try to copy the new control file into the correct folder (etc/ati), it gives me a restricted warning. I am assuming I need to do this in Terminal, but I do not know the commands. I know sudo allows for changes on the Administration level. Can I do this in the GUI?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Logically you need to use the real name not ati.run... after that you get the content inside an ati dir - or whatever you call it.

Leave a comment:

• Brently
    replied
    AMD A series Unsupported

I have successfully installed the AMD Driver and it seems to work fine, but the AMD Unsupported Hardware logo is in the bottom left screen. I have downloaded the AMD driver to extract the control file because I have been told swapping the control files in etc/ati will fix it. But, I can't figure out how to extract the .run file. A nice gentleman told me to "sh ati.run --extract ati" but when I type that in to terminal, it doesn't work. I'm still a bit new to Linux and don't know what to do with that piece of code but to copy and paste it into terminal. Any help would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• oldskool69
    replied
    what a pain.

Leave a comment:

• xpander
    replied
    allquixotic script worked fine for me Mint 11 64bit, catalyst 11.7 (ati hd 5770)
    but mouse still gets stuck on lower right corner of the screen.
    and i dont have any watermark there.

Leave a comment:

• cygn
    replied
    hmm, both scripts fails with 11.7: kano's fails with "unmatched [" and allquixotic's completes OK but then the module hardlocks my box.
    firepro v5800 + Fedora 15 & kernel-2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 here. As the official firepro driver doesn't support F15 kernels + Xorg, Im stuck with the watermark...

Any success someone ?

Leave a comment:

• nitrosmd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    DRIVER=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
    for x in $(objdump -d $DRIVER|awk '/call/&&/EnableLogo/{print "\\x"$2"\\x"$3"\\x"$4"\\x"$5"\\x"$6}'); do
     sed -i "s/$x/\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90/g" $DRIVER
    done
    Have fun
    On Ubuntu 11.04 (Kernal 2.6.38-8) x86_64 w/ ATI 3870 x2, the above failed hard. It broke my drivers and I had to purge and reinstall stuff. Still brilliant considering it worked at one point in time.

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
    Yes, quite annoying, there are a number of people reporting it(including me) for the new macbook pros, there has been 3 or 4 versions of fglrx out that work fine, but this logo prevents me from using them. Weirdly enough, the ubuntu packaged version of fglrx does not do this. Can anyone from ATI take a look at http://ati.cchtml.com/buglist.cgi?qu...tent=watermark ?
    Messing with a compiled module seems almost too hard core for me. I didn't learn my lesson and I don't actually know why I tried your script, but it worked. Although I must say I was super scared when my screen went black after running it, but a hard reboot fixed it and weeee no watermark. Thank you!

Side note for those in my boat, my version of Ubuntu didn't ship with ruby. I did:
    apt-get install ruby
    chmod 700 script
    ruby script

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    So this is good news all around. My hack rocks. And it works where the original by Kano fails.
    Looks like you won't make it into the next Humble Bundle.
    Do you sign autographs, btw?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X