X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fermulator
    started a topic wine + fglrx ==> Please

wine + fglrx ==> Please

I'll be flat out honest, I've not had success with wine & fglrx drivers for years since DX9 days.

What does a user with the latest ATI Catalyst drivers have to do to get wine to work?

My Config:
    * Ubuntu Jaunty
    * wine 1.1.27
    * $ fglrxinfo
    Code:
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4870   
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1.8918)

While this is a general question, if it helps, here is a specific error from WINE output:
    X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Major opcode of failed request: 136 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    Serial number of failed request: 3414
    Current serial number in output stream: 3414

• adamk
    replied
    fglrx has supported RDR since then but, at least to my knowledge, not TFP via direct rendering.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by adamk View Post
    Well because fglrx doesn't support GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in direct rendering contexts, only via AIGLX.
    Hmm, I was under the impression it should have since maybe around 9.3... Ah, well. That explains it then.

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well most likely in the autostart script of compiz as you have to start it really soon in order to set a var system wide.
    Again, it's not set system wide. It's set for compiz. If compiz spawns a process, though, it will also be set for that process.

Don't launch terminals through compiz, and that variable won't be set.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    Originally posted by fermulator View Post
    This is exactly it. wow. I almost always start my terminal windows with "SUPER+T" (a configured shortcut in compiz). When starting a terminal window this this shortcut (which uses compiz to start to the terminal I'm assuming), that ENV variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set to 1. However, if I start the terminal with ALT+F2 and gnome-terminal, this environment variable isn't set.

Do we know why compiz sets this? ... trying to think if it's a bug ...
    Well because fglrx doesn't support GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in direct rendering contexts, only via AIGLX.

In other words, compiz needs to be started with indirect rendering in order to run.

Newer versions of compiz will use indirect rendering if you specify --indirect-rendering, but I can't be 100% sure that it won't set the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable for compiz and any other process compiz spawns.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well most likely in the autostart script of compiz as you have to start it really soon in order to set a var system wide.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Sounds like a bug in Compiz, yeah.

Leave a comment:

• fermulator
    replied
    Originally posted by adamk View Post
    Not quite. It makes sure that wine applications aren't using indirect rendering, which would still be the fglrx opengl implementation, just with the opengl commands passed through the X server via the glx module.

And yes, compiz sets the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable. However, even after starting X, that variable should only be set for applications spawned by compiz. if you start up a terminal through the normal gnome/kde menu, for example, that variable should be unset.

Adam
    This is exactly it. wow. I almost always start my terminal windows with "SUPER+T" (a configured shortcut in compiz). When starting a terminal window this this shortcut (which uses compiz to start to the terminal I'm assuming), that ENV variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set to 1. However, if I start the terminal with ALT+F2 and gnome-terminal, this environment variable isn't set.

Do we know why compiz sets this? ... trying to think if it's a bug ...

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    Originally posted by storma View Post
    It makes sure your using the fglrx openGL implementation, not mesa. Why it should change back, I'm not sure.
    Not quite. It makes sure that wine applications aren't using indirect rendering, which would still be the fglrx opengl implementation, just with the opengl commands passed through the X server via the glx module.

And yes, compiz sets the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT variable. However, even after starting X, that variable should only be set for applications spawned by compiz. if you start up a terminal through the normal gnome/kde menu, for example, that variable should be unset.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Compiz sets that, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X