Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TrentZ View Post
    No.



    No.
    I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context in a self written OpenGL program. This fails with Catalyst 9.6 (an OpenGL error occurs), but with Catalyst 9.7 it doesn't and glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) returns the following:

    Code:
    glGetString(GL_VERSION): 3.1.8787 BETA Forward-Compatible Context
    glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): 1.30
    So... Catalyst 9.7 has beta 3.1 support, but no support for GLSL 1.40, or it just shows the wrong version number for glsl (that happened when OpenGL 3.0 support was introduced as well, I didn't try creating a glsl program with the 1.40 version string, so it might actually support it...).

    I didn't check whether all OpenGL 3.1 features were available, just reporting that creating a 3.1 context works and that it reports in the version string to be a 3.1 context.
    Last edited by Heiko; 07-27-2009, 06:11 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
      I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context in a self written OpenGL program. This fails with Catalyst 9.6 (an OpenGL error occurs), but with Catalyst 9.7 it doesn't and glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) returns the following:

      Code:
      glGetString(GL_VERSION): 3.1.8787 BETA Forward-Compatible Context
      glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): 1.30
      So... Catalyst 9.7 has beta 3.1 support, but no support for GLSL 1.40, or it just shows the wrong version number for glsl (that happened when OpenGL 3.0 support was introduced as well, I didn't try creating a glsl program with the 1.40 version string, so it might actually support it...).

      I didn't check whether all OpenGL 3.1 features were available, just reporting that creating a 3.1 context works and that it reports in the version string to be a 3.1 context.
      The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
        I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context in a self written OpenGL program. This fails with Catalyst 9.6 (an OpenGL error occurs), but with Catalyst 9.7 it doesn't and glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) returns the following:

        Code:
        glGetString(GL_VERSION): 3.1.8787 BETA Forward-Compatible Context
        glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): 1.30
        So... Catalyst 9.7 has beta 3.1 support, but no support for GLSL 1.40, or it just shows the wrong version number for glsl (that happened when OpenGL 3.0 support was introduced as well, I didn't try creating a glsl program with the 1.40 version string, so it might actually support it...).

        I didn't check whether all OpenGL 3.1 features were available, just reporting that creating a 3.1 context works and that it reports in the version string to be a 3.1 context.
        "or it just shows the wrong version number"

        only wrong version number! 9-8 fix this problem.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
          The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.
          yes 3.2 :-) wine specific openGL extansion is coming!
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

          Comment


          • Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Qaridarium, it's self-evident that wine doesn't have some requirement on OpenGL3.2. Why is that, you ask? BECAUSE OGL3.2 DOESN'T EXIST YET!!! And unless you work for Khronos, or one of the parties involved in creating the new standard, you really have no clue about what's going to be made a part of 3.2. Now maybe the nvidia extension you're talking about will be added, but you don't know that for sure. OGL3.2 could come out without it, and it would still just be a proprietary nvidia extension, and then I suppose you'd probably be coming here talking about how wine requires OpenGL 3.3.
            realy... nvidia has openGL3.2 beta driver... with wine specific openGL extansion..

            amd has OpenGL3.2 beta drivers to with wine specific openGL extansion..

            the only lithle point is.. wine 1.1.25 already has nvidia-only exansion it it..

            wine 1.1.27 will chance this point into an openGL3.2 extansion
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              realy... nvidia has openGL3.2 beta driver... with wine specific openGL extansion..

              amd has OpenGL3.2 beta drivers to with wine specific openGL extansion..

              the only lithle point is.. wine 1.1.25 already has nvidia-only exansion it it..

              wine 1.1.27 will chance this point into an openGL3.2 extansion
              Now please, would you be so kind and at least take a moment to re-read what you're writing? It's okay if English is not your native language etc, but you don't even seem to try to write something which others can understand. Anyways, it can't be that hard to write "extension" correctly, especially since someone already corrected you in that regard, can it?

              So... I could hazard some guesses about what you mean, but I don't really have a clue what you're trying to tell us (didn't read the whole thread on the other hand).

              Comment


              • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.
                How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

                Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
                Last edited by Heiko; 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                  How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

                  Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
                  3.0.xxxx something shortly before 3.1
                  3.1.xxxx something shortly before 3.2

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                    3.0.xxxx something shortly before 3.1
                    3.1.xxxx something shortly before 3.2
                    I don't think I understand what you mean and want to say.

                    What I did is make an application that does the following:

                    Create an OpenGL 3.0 context, then ask OpenGL which version it is. It says: `OpenGL 3.0.xxxx'. So I ask for OpenGL 3.0 and I got OpenGL 3.0. Then I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context and thereafter I asked OpenGL which version it is. It says: `OpenGL 3.1.xxxx beta'. So I asked for OpenGL 3.1 and I got a beta OpenGL 3.1 context. The last thing I tried was creating an OpenGL 3.2 context. This does not work, OpenGL gave an error.

                    So why do you claim Catalyst 9.7 supports OpenGL 3.2? Because it clearly doesn't.


                    OpenGL reference pages say the following:
                    Code:
                    The GL_VERSION and GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION strings begin with a version number.
                    The version number uses one of these forms:
                            
                    major_number.minor_number
                    major_number.minor_number.release_number
                    In this case it says 3.1.8787.

                    3: major version (OpenGL 3.x)
                    1: minor version (OpenGL 3.1)
                    8787: release_number: just a number AMD uses to indicate which version of the OpenGL driver this is. It increases with every release. It has nothing to do with OpenGL itself.
                    Last edited by Heiko; 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                      OpenGL reference pages say the following:
                      Code:
                      The GL_VERSION and GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION strings begin with a version number.
                      The version number uses one of these forms:
                              
                      major_number.minor_number
                      major_number.minor_number.release_number
                      In this case it says 3.1.8787.

                      3: major version (OpenGL 3.x)
                      1: minor version (OpenGL 3.1)
                      8787: release_number: just a number AMD uses to indicate which version of the OpenGL driver this is. It increases with every release. It has nothing to do with OpenGL itself.
                      Ok, then I was wrong. I took the third number into the OGL versioning scheme, like the KDE versioning scheme. Didn't know that the third number is unreleated to the OGL version.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X