• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Phoronix: AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Beginning next month with the Catalyst 9.4 release, support for the R300/400/500 generations of graphics processors will be dropped from AMD's mainline ATI driver. In a move they hope will allow them to focus their efforts on newer and upcoming graphics processors, the mainline Catalyst driver on both Linux and Windows will stop supporting cards older than the Radeon HD 2000 series. Linux customers affected will be encouraged to use their open-source driver stack (xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd and Mesa) or stay with the Catalyst 9.3 driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13559

• hunterthomson
    replied
    Ok how about this....
    With my card Mobility FireGL v5700

SuperTuxKart...

Open driver.... Not even playable I can only guess <1FPS
    Catalist dirver.... 250-300FPS

This may not matter though becaus I "Think" it is just my card is not fully supported by the open driver. I guess I am not upset anymore. At lest when the open drivers are done ATI will be the only "Good" grafics card that has Open Source dirvers. So, that is a vary cool thing and I will suport a compay that is doing that. I still love Intel but they make budget grafics cards not gameing cards. Soon ATI will be the card of choice for people that want to use a real OS i.e. Solaris, *BSD, Linux.... Really anything but DOS/Windoz unless your so into gaming you don't care your OS is ****

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    glxgears is a really basic benchmark, even without 3d support i get

2380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 475.536 FPS

on a 3450 with oss driver. Well nvidia seems to optimize the drivers for thruput much more than ati, therefore the numbers with it a really high. But basically even 20000+ fps do not really matter. Nexuiz performance changed pretty much between the driver releases, but the newer which are in U 9.04 by default are everything but stable. If the distro would ship when it is done, it would be still not out.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    LOL, on the one box running some new/unreleased version of the intel opensource drivers, I get 190fps with glxgears, and 220fps running cube.
    so glxgears is slower than a REAL app.
    Then I run foldingathome in the background and glxgears goes up to 800fps.

It seems that powermanagement can break 3D performance quite considerably on the opensource drivers. The same happens with my Mobility x1600 using the opensource ati drivers. (Although to a lesser extent)

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    hunterthompson, we're not claiming the open source drivers are ready to take over from fglrx on your GPU, just on 5xx and below.
    Last edited by bridgman; 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hunterthomson
    replied
    OK fine fine. forget the glxgears They are stupid.

but realy in Ubuntu like i said I could wach movies. That is good enugh I guess. There is realy no need to do any benchmarking the opensoruce drivers can't do anything. Playing video is it's max and you need to do some tweeking just to do that.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    If anybody feels like committing back into glxgears the -iacknowledgethatthistoolisnotabenchmark switch you do so with my blessing.

Leave a comment:

• hunterthomson
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I really wish everytime someone tried to use glxgears as a benchmark they would get an electric shock.
    Ya i know I was thinking I sould put a disclamer in there.
    I am also see why it is bad. I am now finding this dirver is still not working all that well. I guess I just need to set up my xorg.conf better or something. It frezes for like 4-5 secs when I change desktop or open a new window like firefox or terminator. But nexuiz is getting 200FPS too. So, I guess a few more days and maybe it will work right. Anyway, come on if it only get's 300FPS in glxgears it dose show how crappy they are....

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    I really wish everytime someone tried to use glxgears as a benchmark they would get an electric shock.

Leave a comment:

• krazy
    replied
    Originally posted by hunterthomson View Post
    glxgears was getting 350FPS, My intel x3100 gets 680GPS. They are not even useable yet. Vesa is almost better.
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X