Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    Your rousing rhetoric has redoubled my resolve. I shall drop out of school, shut myself in my room, and live off ramen and water until the drivers utilize the full capabilities of the hardware.

    Oh, wait. I already live off ramen and water. Shoot. Guess I'll have to find some other way to make it evident that I already spend most of my spare time on this project.
    I for one am happy with this move by AMD, because I use open drivers and with no fglrx support open driver may only get better ...

    So keep up the good work you are most awesome

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Stormking View Post
      You seem to have a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux. In my case, it's not because it is OSS. And it's not because Windows is buggy or because of all the malware and so on. I use Linux because I like its architecture. I like the Unix way of doing things.
      Hm, I mentioned more than enough aspects to _not_ be labeled as having 'a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux'. Add to that that saying 'I like the Unix way of doings things' is too ambiguous to be able to reply to. Does that not entirely or partly fall under any or some of the aspects I mentioned? I seriously doubt that.

      Then again, if I get your point correctly, for you using Linux oder Solaris or AIX has no difference whatsoever -- even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by susikala View Post
        even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.
        Which requires a blob to do so right now in any true usable form. Had the 3d performance of the blobs been up to snuff you would see next to no griping. Everyone here is not complaining so much that they are dropping support in the blobs but more to the fact that they are doing so before a complete featured and performance oss alternative is out. In short, the timing stinks. Another thing that is annoying is that even though the drivers in windows are also pushed to legacy, at least they will still have incremental updates to fix show stopping bugs where the linux blobs are simply being abandoned with no maintenance.
        Last edited by deanjo; 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Which requires a blob to do so right now in any true usable form. Had the 3d performance of the blobs been up to snuff you would see next to no griping. Everyone here is not complaining so much that they are dropping support in the blobs but more to the fact that they are doing so before a complete featured and performance oss alternative is out. In short, the timing stinks. Another thing that is annoying is that even though the drivers in windows are also pushed to legacy, at least they will still have incremental updates to fix show stopping bugs where the linux blobs are simply being abandoned with no maintenance.
          I can somewhat agree about the timing; it could have been better, but a matter of a few months isn't that horrible on a Linux-timeframe. I bought my A780 board in 10/08 and suffered every moment from (pretty much) unusable video playback (teary xv or cpu-intensive gl). Eventually, the specs + FOSS drivers changed that and now I can actually get quite a lot out of this relatively weak gpu. So waiting (about 5 months in my case) pays off.

          And again -- the specs are there, if you want spiffing 3d performance, get to work.

          Hm, I didn't know the drivers on Windows will have incremental updates, that changes the picture, of course. Then again, it's still justifiable from ADM's pov. Most of their customers use Windows.

          Edit: I think I'm trying to make a not very far-fetched point here. If you use Linux, you cannot expect the same level of support as on Windows -- although ironically you get on a per-user basis much more.
          Last edited by susikala; 03-06-2009, 09:00 AM.

          Comment


          • Not sure if this has already been mentioned but ExtremeTech reported that the older graphic chips will get quarterly updates instead of monthly although I guess that might just be the windows drivers?

            Originally posted by ExtremeTech
            After Catalyst 9.3, products prior to the R6xx generation of graphics cards (that go by the Radeon HD 2000 series brand names) will be changed to "legacy support status." This means that these products will get quarterly WHQL driver updates, instead of monthly updates. AMD assures us that these products will still receive critical "hotfix" drivers if high-priority fixes are needed.
            http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2342476,00.asp

            Comment


            • Originally posted by susikala View Post
              Then again, if I get your point correctly, for you using Linux oder Solaris or AIX has no difference whatsoever -- even though if you want to play games and actually use your card, you still need to stick to Linux itself.
              Genau so ist es.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                Genau so ist es.
                Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.
                  oh...is that klingon?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by susikala View Post
                    Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.
                    Dann hast Du mich doch noch nicht verstanden. Ich will einfach nur ein Unix mit X. Ob die Treiber nun Open oder Closed oder Sonstwas-Source sind, ist mir dabei v?llig wurscht. Hauptsache sie funktionieren und lassen mich die wesentlichsten Features meiner Hardware nutzen: Halbwegs schnelle 3D-Beschleunigung, Video-Overlay und TV-Out.

                    Comment


                    • For the sake of non-german speakers, please talk in english

                      Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                      Dann hast Du mich doch noch nicht verstanden. Ich will einfach nur ein Unix mit X. Ob die Treiber nun Open oder Closed oder Sonstwas-Source sind, ist mir dabei v?llig wurscht. Hauptsache sie funktionieren und lassen mich die wesentlichsten Features meiner Hardware nutzen: Halbwegs schnelle 3D-Beschleunigung, Video-Overlay und TV-Out.
                      But here you are mistaken. Even if closed-source drivers work now, there will *always* come a time when their support ends - and then you will be dead in the water.

                      This is why open drivers are important. A simple point that so many miss - it's good that Ati just helped drive it home

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X