No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO is officially unsupported for Ryzen APUs in Linux

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO is officially unsupported for Ryzen APUs in Linux

I recently got a Ryzen 2200g for a new compact HTPC in my living room. I had planned to use Lubuntu 16.04.4 with AMDGPU-PRO drivers so that hopefully sound would work over HDMI, but I haven't been able to get the AMDGPU-PRO drivers working with any *buntu distro. I have tried Lubuntu and Ubuntu 16.04.4 and Ubuntu 17.10.1, all of which behave slightly differently but none of which work with the pro driver.

I raised a support request with AMD to ask them exactly which distro I should be using and they responded stating that Linux is not supported with Ryzen APUs, and to receive support I need to install Windows 10. Here's the relevant quote from the email:

... Please be informed that for specified Ryzen APU there is no driver support for any Linux OS. As of now they are limited to Windows 10 OS only. I request you to use the compatible Operating System to get the driver support
    Thanks for contacting AMD
    This isn't a rant, although I am rather disappointed, but I thought I'd start this thread to let others know because I haven't seen this written anywhere else. There is hope though, as the use of the words "As of now" suggests that maybe they will be supported future.

In the meantime, has anyone had the PRO driver working with a 2200g and ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac board with any distro? If so I'd love to hear which distro and what is required to get it working.

Use the latest open source driver. You can test my distribution:

AMDGPU-PRO is not officially supported on any APU products - this is not specific to Raven. That said, we do try to keep AMDGPU-PRO working on APUs at a developer level.

In general the only reasons for running AMDGPU-PRO on an APU would be (a) for running CAD workstation apps requiring compatibility profiles or (b) running OpenCL. In all other cases I think the open source drivers are preferable.

We are continuing to evolve the OpenCL support and hopefully making it easier to use with an otherwise all-open stack.