Intel Rolls Out Their New CPUs With Radeon Vega M Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's not true at all. An APU can be an MCM package as well. The only requirement to call it an APU is that the CPU and GPU have to be on the same socket.
    APU is just marketing term, AMD's term for accelarated processing unit ... for AMD that was Fusion or HPUs before heterogeneous processor units or HPU, while for Intel that was EPG or embedded processor graphics or something like that...

Basically that was known as EPG or HPU devices decade ago during IGP times EPG and HPU as replacement market of IGPs, and then AMD started calling it in marketing HPU as APU and Intel from EPG to nothing

Call it as you like as i said, at least i will knew what it isn't but sounds complete weird to call this Intel semi-custom device as APU, because Intel does not use this name and second it isn't an APU
    Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      APU is just marketing term, AMD's term for accelarated processing unit ... for AMD that was Fusion or HPUs before heterogeneous processor units or HPU, while for Intel that was EPG or embedded processor graphics or something like that...
      Right... our definition for "APU" was not just including a GPU, but including a GPU which could do significant compute work. In general the criteria was that the GPU should have comparable or higher compute performance than the CPU IIRC, at least for large-scale FP32 processing.

This part definitely meets that criteria, but I don't think we get to decide if it's called an APU or not
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Basically that was known as EPG or HPU devices decade ago during IGP times EPG and HPU as replacement market of IGPs, and then AMD started calling it in marketing HPU as APU and Intel from EPG to nothing

Call it as you like as i said, at least i will knew what it isn't but sounds complete weird to call this Intel semi-custom device as APU, because Intel does not use this name and second it isn't an APU
        That's not true either. The very first Ironlake APU's were called APU's by Intel themselves. Which were MCMs

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          That's not true either. The very first Ironlake APU's were called APU's by Intel themselves. Which were MCMs
          OK maybe i can't remember everything really, but by one possible "the exception rather than the rule" official? moment, then call also very this first semi-custom as APU, even when Intel does not call it like that maybe they will hear you
          Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Right... our definition for "APU" was not just including a GPU, but including a GPU which could do significant compute work. In general the criteria was that the GPU should have comparable or higher compute performance than the CPU IIRC, at least for large-scale FP32 processing.

This part definitely meets that criteria, but I don't think we get to decide if it's called an APU or not
            Exactly, they might ended calling it just CPU where C is not from central nor core but trully means something universal something like confusion processing unit

As like if you wanna buy just lemons, it does not matter if some lemons are oranges instead
            Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

IMO "Confusion Propagation Unit" sounds more technical-ish.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                IMO "Confusion Propagation Unit" sounds more technical-ish.
                It is something that does various confusing jobs, whatever... it could be called even that ISH as because it does unversal xyz-ish

Comment

They will probably fail on Linux. The biggest problem will be that the Intel HD graphics chip will require Prime and extra overhead, at least make a Prime gui app for Linux. The small problem will be that 4 unlocked cores have big consumption at near 5GHz, make an unlocked edition with two and drop the price of 7350K or sell a similar dual 8300K cheaper. We cannot defeat Wine overhead or ported games overhead with 4GHz processors.
                  Last edited by artivision; 09 January 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    They will probably fail on Linux. The biggest problem will be that the Intel HD graphics chip will require Prime and extra overhead, at least make a Prime gui app for Linux. The small problem will be that 4 unlocked cores have big consumption at near 5GHz, make an unlocked edition with two and drop the price of 7350K or sell a similar dual 8300K cheaper. We cannot defeat Wine overhead or ported games overhead with 4GHz processors.
                    It wouldn't surprise me if these chips are designed to use the Vega graphics by default, or that there's at least a BIOS override.
                    As for 5GHz... first of all, nobody is forcing you to reach that high. But also, what exactly are you expecting the PSU or VRMs to be for these? There's no way anyone is reaching 5GHz on a mobile platform even if thermals weren't a limitation.
                    As for wine, I don't see how that's relevant to this.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      It wouldn't surprise me if these chips are designed to use the Vega graphics by default, or that there's at least a BIOS override.
                      As for 5GHz... first of all, nobody is forcing you to reach that high. But also, what exactly are you expecting the PSU or VRMs to be for these? There's no way anyone is reaching 5GHz on a mobile platform even if thermals weren't a limitation.
                      As for wine, I don't see how that's relevant to this.
                      Well i have tested a 7350k at 1.375v - @4.9Ghz (if you do 5Ghz AVX suffers), the full consumption was not even 70 watts (including HD graphics).

Comment

Working...
                      X