Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running OpenCL On The CPU With POCL 1.0, Xeon & EPYC Testing

Phoronix: Running OpenCL On The CPU With POCL 1.0, Xeon & EPYC Testing

This week marked the release of the long-awaited POCL 1.0 release candidate. For the uninformed POCL, or the Portable Computing Language, is a portable implementation of OpenCL 1.2~2.0 that can run on CPUs with its LLVM code generation and has also seen back-ends for its OpenCL implementation atop AMD HSA and even NVIDIA CUDA. I've been trying out POCL 1.0-RC1 on various Intel and AMD CPUs.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25619

Nice test. I was looking for this. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not seeing Blender, just a bunch of command line interfaced tests to show that POCL doesn't break and supports what it claims to support. When Blender, LuxRenderer, Maya, etc., recognize the stack w/o any fuss then that's progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        I'm not seeing Blender, just a bunch of command line interfaced tests to show that POCL doesn't break and supports what it claims to support. When Blender, LuxRenderer, Maya, etc., recognize the stack w/o any fuss then that's progress.
        Blender OpenCL results on the last page.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

FWIW: SLAMBench is open source and also works on POCL, and is based on the Kfusion library with CUDA, OpenCL and OpenMP.

Comment

Just for laughs, I'd like to see how they compare to something against Intel's graphics.

Comment

It looks like it would have run fahbench.. wonder if it's could be used to run FAH since clover's useless for that.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Nice work Micheal.

Im very pleased to see AMD hardware in a competitive state. Its been a long time, it might be worth testing something a little less than EPIC though.

Comment

I would love to see the performance difference between running an OpenCL implementation of an algorithm compared to a CPU implementation. Too bad OpenCL 2 isn't supported just yet, you could compare Monero OpenCL mining performance with the POCL shim to the CPU performance.

Comment

How funny is it that a $100 GTX1050 is capable of smoking high end Intel and AMD based servers costing thousands of dollars.

Comment

Working...
                    X