No announcement yet.

Blender 2.79 Performance On Various Intel/AMD CPUs From Ryzen To EPYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can easily see that quite a lot has happened since I bought my expensive Core i7 920 (1st Gen) in 2009... https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...TY-1711264AL61

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post

i dont use ondemand, I use schedutil when im ilding, when i go gaming or do cpu intensive tasks i switch to performance mode. its about 2% difference from my past testing
      From things I've read, performance is the best scheduler for Ryzen. If you leave it in its top speed bin it manages its speed automatically. That's where SenseMI and XFR come in. Otherwise you're artificially slowing it down but not saving that much power. Core power drops to zero if idle if its set to 3.7 or 2.2 GHz.

In my opinion Ryzen's 2.2 GHz speed stepping is only good if you put it there and leave it. It's the Ryzen's most efficient speed so it's best for work per watt.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Take another look, the fastest setup tested is a dual Xeon Gold 6138 ($2600 per cpu), the fastest single chip tested is EPYC 7601 ($4900).

The reality is that if money is no object, an Intel based setup is nearly always the better value when you take into account the cost of the processors, how much faster than the competition they are and the superior power consumption. AMD offerings are, and always have been, the option you choose if you wish to save as much money on hardware as possible without getting maximum performance, it depends on what you value more.

I personally wish AMD would just abandon the x86 market and instead start making and selling either ARM or RISC-V based processors. From a business perspective, one of the dumbest things you can do is try and compete in a market by selling products based on a competitors technology. Home field advantage is a big thing, the competition between AMD and Intel is like the competition between the New England Patriots and the NY Jets; sure the Jets may win a game or 2 against that Pats, once in a while the Jets even manage to go into NE during the playoffs and beat them but much more often the Pats simply manhandle everyone they play.

AMD is trying to compete in a market that was created by Intel and which the rights to the basic underlying technology is owned by Intel. Sure AMD and Intel have a cross licensing agreement, but with the exception of the x86-64 extensions, AMD has always played "follow the leader", Intel came out with SSE, AMD tried to counter with their own SIMD instructions, how many people even remember the name of them? AMD was forced to adopt SSE, Intel came out with SSE2/3/4, AMD was forced to follow suit. Intel came out with AVX/2, AMD had to follow. Now Intel has AVX-512, AMD will have no choice but to do the same. What this has the net effect of doing is that AMD validates Intel's technology as the superior solution, Intel doesn't adopt AMD's solutions (with the exception of x86-64 and the newly signed deal regarding AMD iGPU's) but AMD adopts Intel's.

If I were running AMD, I would make a play to partner with either RedHat, Suse, Canonical, or maybe buy the rights to TrueOS and go the route of Apple from 20 years ago, namely bring to the desktop a Unix/Linux based OS running on high core count cpu's based on the ARMv8 architecture or RISC-V. If you will recall Apple had managed to put 5 billion in the bank with their PPC architecture and their own custom OS (later BSD based) before making all that cash in the ipad/iphone/ipod markets. I think AMD could replicate that success if they just changed their thinking a bit.
        Lots of valid points, but let me just remind you that:
        -In the ARM market we basically the same setup, except that there more AMD's competing...
        -The ARM market is smaller
        -Intel has followed AMD in the past, and will again in the future (x64, multi-core processors, IPC focus)

So while it will certainly be hard, i expect a bright future for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do you mean "a single server" ? Or are you treating Epyc as multiple chips ?
          I meant that all setups are single chip, except for the faster, and that might be misleading...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I meant that all setups are single chip, except for the faster, and that might be misleading...
            What's misleading in 2 x Intel Xeon Gold?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              What's misleading in 2 x Intel Xeon Gold?

Assuming people actually look at it and process it, nothing...
              All i'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt to insert some kind of separator.

Comment

Working...
              X