DDR4 Memory Scaling & DDR4-3600 Testing With AMD Threadripper On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR4 Memory Scaling & DDR4-3600 Testing With AMD Threadripper On Linux

Phoronix: DDR4 Memory Scaling & DDR4-3600 Testing With AMD Threadripper On Linux

For those that may be looking at purchasing an AMD Threadripper this holiday season, especially with the recent price drops, here are some fresh memory tests on the Threadripper 1950X while running Debian GNU/Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The scaling is actually very good for higher spec memory. More than I thought it might be.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
      The scaling is actually very good for higher spec memory. More than I thought it might be.
      ryzen processors are memory starved due to infinity fabric. no surprises here

Comment

"The memory timings were not tweaked between the different frequency levels."

Can you clarify what that means? Because if it means that the timings were kept the same for tests, then the test would be a bit silly.

Comment

Many of those "CPU" benchmark were better memory speed benchmarks than the official memory speed benchmark!

Comment

Hmm, it's a bit of a shame highest speed ECC memory I can find is DDR4-2666.

I'd love to have ECC, but if does look like it would be a substantial hit on performance... And probably my wallet as well.

Comment

Does this mean any 4x configuration > 2x?

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
                "The memory timings were not tweaked between the different frequency levels."

Can you clarify what that means? Because if it means that the timings were kept the same for tests, then the test would be a bit silly.
                Pretty sure he means they were not changed from the default value each stick has. As in "I didn't change anything in the bios".

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Does this mean any 4x configuration > 2x?
                  If you run them in quad-channel mode, yes. (and you don't try to run a 4x64MB configuration instead of 2x8GB configuration of course)

Comment

The 4GB sticks are almost certainly single rank modules. Do you know if the 8 GB modules are single or dual rank? You can check by running `dmidecode | grep -oP "Rank: [1-4]+"`. Dual rank allows for more rank interleaving which can impact memory bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                    X