Ryzen or CL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen or CL?

I haven't visited here in a while. I noticed some posts about a segfault (?) when using Ryzen hardware.

Is CL a better option in Linux or does it matter?

I'm looking at a future budget build....probably not overclocking. I was thinking either i3-8100 or i5-8400 vs R3 1200 or R5 1600. AMD has the nod with respect to motherboard choices (B350) but I am willing to buy the cpu and wait for Jan/Feb for the mobo.

I don't want to decide based on what is best for gaming and that's all the reviews and benchmarks concentrate on. I'm trying to find comparisons of power consumption and temperatures to no avail. I know you can OC Ryzen and it's competitive or eclipses CL on multiple threads and for productivity software tests but I dunno if I'd OC. It's not a priority. But, I would probably upgrade to the 'top' cpu long after people have moved to the next generation. I'm not worried about 'future-proofing' or whether a socket will take the next gen mobo although it's a nice feature or bonus (no one knows for sure about Ryzen).

Therefore, I don't find the various (Windows-based) forums to be much help when they say go for CL/Ryzen based on... :-)

Perhaps, the issues in Ryzen and the issues with RAM/Memory have been ironed out?

If so, which do you recommend and why? I plan on getting a cpu between $100 - $200-ish (the most I'll go is $230 which gets the i5-8400 or R5-1600 in Canada) and probably upgrade to the top cpu in that path, eventually, but that's long-term. Just going for a budget build now.

Is there an advantage for CL in Linux over Ryzen now or is that just a perception?

Gaming wise the Intel ones seem to do better due to single thread perf no?
    I'm looking at R5 1600 due to extra cores, but not sure on which mobo at the moment, (B350 but AsRock ATX or mATX etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
      Gaming wise the Intel ones seem to do better due to single thread perf no?
      I'm looking at R5 1600 due to extra cores, but not sure on which mobo at the moment, (B350 but AsRock ATX or mATX etc...)
      That's right, AFAIK. Intel, regardless of generation, seem to be better at gaming when it's the single core or IPC that is crucial. But, whenever extra cores is beneficial - software that is designed to accommodate or take advantage of extra cores, it seems to be a significant performance increase.

I won't be gaming, 100% of the time, so Ryzen appears to be a good option - I was just wondering what the temps and power consumption comparisons show.

On newegg, some reviewers provided their temps and it was interesting if they are accurate - for e.g., the Ryzen R5 17 and 17X were 27/28 at idle and around 40 - 50 (to mid-50s) at load. The R5 1600 sounded like it was around there, too.... The Intel i5-8400 sounded like it had similar temps at idle and load. At least, I thought the differences were negligible. I would suspect when you OC the CL or the Ryzen processors, those would go up. So, the only thing I concluded is that I wouldn't be getting something with the plan of overclocking. I think those figures sound pretty good and I think I wouldn't be interested in jumping the juice (voltages) to get a few more frame rates.

The question remains, though, which is the better deal? I thought the AMD Ryzen budget boards are more affordable while enabling/accepting higher RAM speeds. I don't know whether B360 motherboards will include options for overclocking RAM - so, there's that intangible, maybe?

Comment

Mm. I agree, R5 1600 and boards look good!
        Ended up scoring a cheap second hand i7 so have done that for now.
        Good luck with your purchase, post back so the tumbleweeds don't get too established in this thread.

Comment

I am looking at i7-8700 or R7-2700.

If I went for a lower cpu, I wouldn't know... the R5 processors look good but i5 ones look limited.

Comment

I'm looking at the R5 2600 now (currently, it's pretty cheap?!?). But, I was also looking at some B450 mobos but even the X470 boards only have one M.2 slot that is PCIe 3.0 x 4. I will also have Win 10 on my system so I am wondering if it's still okay to dual boot these days? I think when Michael does Windows vs Linux tests here, only ONE NVME SSD is used, right? So, it must be okay to dual boot?

I was looking at the option of using 2 drives but one would be crippled (speeds) unless there is some way to turn one of the slots into PCIe 3.0 x4?

Can someone advise me on this? I have googled but to no avail. The only other option that I can see is a more expensive board such as the X470 series which often have two PCIe 3.0 x 16 slots - then one needs to buy an adapter. I would rather go with a cheaper mobo and then just one drive - but, I don't know what the state is for dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - hoping it's not too much of a pain.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and replies.

Comment

I always find it easier to have a separate drive from each OS, but dual booting from the same drive should be no problem these days, even with efi. At least with Kubuntu, you can install either Windows or Linux firsts. The OS will automatically detects the efi partition. Just make sure to run update-grub if you installed Windows last.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                I always find it easier to have a separate drive from each OS, but dual booting from the same drive should be no problem these days, even with efi. At least with Kubuntu, you can install either Windows or Linux firsts. The OS will automatically detects the efi partition. Just make sure to run update-grub if you installed Windows last.
                Thank you.

Btw, I haven't used Kubuntu for a while now. I had problems connecting my smartphone so I switched to Ubuntu. I wonder if anything has changed. I still have Debian on a partition, though.

Comment

Can you guys recommend either i7-8700K or 2700X? I have the option of buying one (used) for virtually the same price. If I am deciding on one, I want to, soon, before one is sold. Thanks.

I'm reading the Spectre stuff but it's a bit confusing. Is the performance impact mostly on Intel but it's not as serious as first reported or? I think the performance hit is on certain tasks/operations, too, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X