Libre Computer Board Launches Another Allwinner/Mali ARM SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
    Maybe I should revisit the idea of hosting my home server on one of these instead. I used to own a Odroid C1, which served as a home server for a while. Really energy efficient solution. Though the needed software packages wheren't always up-to-date, available, or functioning. I would like to see a SBC for this price with 4gigs of Ram.
    I was looking at one of these as a possible NAS for my home:

Plus it uses an octacore Samsung Exynos, so it has a bit of power 😊

Comment

mali gpu, may as well have no gpu.

Comment

it is not drop-in rpi replacement and it has no "4k video" because it has no video at all. mali has no open driver

Comment

i don't understand what do they mean by "Initiatives to develop an open source driver never achieve the critical mass to provide resources to drive adoption by the community"
          there are 3 open arm gpu drivers in mesa and none of them is mali

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post

I was looking at one of these as a possible NAS for my home:

Plus it uses an octacore Samsung Exynos, so it has a bit of power 😊
            Yeah, the XU4 is their most powerful one. Though Udoo x86 could also be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
              Better choice, if money is no issue: wandboard will come up with a SCB based on NXP i.MX8M-SoC in Q2 2018.
              RPi zero competes with the cheapest board. $5 RPi Zero vs $9 + $10 libre board. RPi has full graphics acceleration and free software support, Allwinner does not.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                You forget that the other boards include incompatible extensions and useless improvements. Nobody needs more than 4 USB or SATA when USB-SATA bridges and mSATA shields exist.
                USB-sata and USB-mSATA are still capped by the SINGLE usb controller onboard that piece of crap, which is running also ethernet among other things.

Only place Raspi is better is for open GPU driver, Allwinner chips have better features.

Comment

RPi3 is $35 and you get up and running with it in 5 min. Just choose a distro, touchscreen and camera if you want and you are ready to go.
                  With most other SBC, it is countless hours of fiddling to get it to work if your patience endures that long.

I have very few free hours in my life outside of work and family. It is either fully open source supported or I am not interested. Speed and features comes afterwards.

Other HUGE benefits of the RPi:
                  - Most online content for hobby projects target the Pi;
                  - Most hardware/sensor kits on AliExpress/dx.com/etc are for the RPi;
                  - The python libraries for the RPi are way superior to everything else;
                  - No other board has such nice integration with touchscreen and camera, both officially supported.

If you do not want a hobby board and just looking for a small computer than there are a few other options in the market. But in that case I would settle with Intel-based SBC like the UpBoard for the performance, value and oss support.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Allwinner chips have better features
                    And break the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      You forget that the other boards include incompatible extensions and useless improvements. Nobody needs more than 4 USB or SATA when USB-SATA bridges and mSATA shields exist. The mSATA shield actually advertises support for fast SSD drives, which boosts RPi performance nicely. Many use it as a NAS or router. Surprises me why no clone has exactly the same board layout, 100% compatible pins and runs the same Broadcom chips. Shouldn't be too hard.
                      Are you joking? Cuz it's not funny. The Pi sucks at I/O.

And no clones use the same SoC because what would be the point? It would just be the same only worse (because lower volume and fewer people to beta test it & fix problems). Plenty of clones have the same pinout, and I think a few are even mechanically compatible.

Comment

Working...
                      X