Linux 4.15 Gets Fixed To Report Current CPU Frequency Via /proc/cpuinfo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Gets Fixed To Report Current CPU Frequency Via /proc/cpuinfo

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Gets Fixed To Report Current CPU Frequency Via /proc/cpuinfo

A change recently in the Linux kernel led the CPU MHz reported value via /proc/cpuinfo to either be the nominal CPU frequency or the most recently requested frequency. This behavior changed compared to pre-4.13 kernels while now it's been fixed up to report the current CPU frequency...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am confused. IIRC Linus got annoyed of complains, and silently reverted it at the time of 4.14-rc8.
    Originally posted by Linus
    One thing I got complaints about and was clearly not popular was how
    /proc/cpuinfo didn't give useful frequencies on x86 any more since
    4.13 - that got fixed (and backported to stable). Maybe that's the
    most noticeable one to most people - the rest really is small internal
    bug fixes.

Comment

I'm surprised that RISCV support being merged for 4.15 was missed for a discussion article.

Comment

Originally posted by fallacy View Post
        I'm surprised that RISCV support being merged for 4.15 was missed for a discussion article.
        I covered the RISC-V pull request here: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ISC-V-OpenRISC

And welcome to the forums.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Actually that was me who had bugged Linus about this problem ;-) He agreed and requested a revert to the old behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Actually that was me who had bugged Linus about this problem ;-) He agreed and requested a revert to the old behaviour.
            Proof or didn't happen.

Comment

Whatever, it seems I've been using cpuinfo occasionally to get idea about freq here and now. While it has been misuse and there're more appropriate ways, it still convenient and worked for me. Though I would agree it jeopardizes understanding of "real" CPU properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Proof or didn't happen.
                Bug 197153

Comment

Working...
                X