Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

Exactly...
    It would have been nice to have these AMD contributions in the 4.14 kernel already. It could have gone a long way in deduplication of efforts.
    Distribution maintainers now have two options:
    1. wait out 4.15 so they can offer better support for modern hardware, if they do this...
      • they will either have to update the kernel version sometime, which can be a source of instability. Dealing with which will waste resources.
      • or they will have to backport at least the security patches for their version of the 4.15 kernel. This backporting will inevitably waste resources.
    2. use 4.14 LTS for the sake of stability. In this case they will have to backport hardware enablement patches from day 0, since the kernel does not support all notable hardware pieces available at it's launch. This backporting will also inevitably waste resources.

I know it's not the open source way, but some coordination would have been nice among different stakeholders and projects. Yes, even altering the kernel releases... say make 4.15 the LTS release.
    It would be nice if the LTS-versions would be more balanced and also suitable for Desktops (and Servers).
    But as most Linux business people gave up the desktop instead of fighting the problematic business tactics still around that is not to be expected - and even Linux Foundation shows mistrust in their own child:
    In what could well take the award for the most hypocritical tech statement of the year, Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin last week announced that 2017 was the year of the Linux desktop – while using a macOS machine for his presentation. Zemlin's statement was made during his keynot...

Maybe I am wrong, but Linux LTS stands only for Android-base today - not even server people would have chosen the use of 4.14 feature-wise over 4.15 - and I am pretty sure the experts are well aware of that.
    And those `must haves' are not AMD-only - even if those new support is essential - but also for Intel. So for x86 waiting for 4.15 at least would have been appropriate.
    But this is the game for several LTSs back ... no one was suited for the Desktop. But I think it never was so extreme than this round ... 4.14 would not be usable today for a recent x86 desktop or server ... and not because features haven been pushed early but those features had been delayed for much too long ... for a reason, maybe ... but not in the interest of users of current HW.
    These delays are understandable as Linux is not a first class citizen in the OS domain ... Linux desktop domination ... it was nearer in the 1990ies than today.
    Latest News are more shocking than encouraging ... and even Hurd is used more often than Linux on Intel:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-i...rating-system/
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/minixs-...-was-using-it/
    The only positive thing - Linux will survive as free software - no chance for a proprietary supercomputing OS ...
    All other domains ... we will see - or not ...
    Last edited by JMB9; 13 November 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

But it is always necessary to install and run lm_sensors? I have a ryzen 1600 and MSI Tomawahk b350, does anyone know what I have to do to see the cpu temp and fan?

Comment

99% supercomputers today run Linux and Desktop era Windows or Linux is passe except for gaming.

Comment

donbastiano If you want useful sensor information in one place, mostly yes. I've been using this kernel module: https://github.com/groeck/it87, you can do sensors-detect --auto, and run sensors. Gnome has some useful widgets for lm_sensors information too.

The "sensor = AMD AMDSI" description is the processor temperature for my 1700, and the fan RPMs seems right to me above the temps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...dfdTVkUXdOZU0w

Comment

audir8 thank you, at the moment it is not working properly, it says no sensors detected but actually shows:
            Code:
            $ sensors
            amdgpu-pci-2300
            Adapter: PCI adapter
            fan1:        1252 RPM
            temp1:        +23.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
            the temperature are wrong, I read something about an offset of 20°C. I think it is a little high, especially considering the fan, have to try some new kernel, I'm with a 4.13.10, and eventually change the thermal paste, from a small try it appears to work quieter and cooler with windows7 that actually says hw not supported. Furthermore I have to search some program to check the GPU (any suggestion is welcome )

Comment

donbastiano You might need to modprobe -r it87 && modprobe it87, if you've done make install on the repo. Maybe your kernel version is causing some issues? It should work with 4.11+ I believe.

Comment

debianxfce or maybe we are both affected Seriously, I think mine is wrong but it is not easy to prove it, in the BIOS it is around 40°C. Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu 17.10 (Unity + Ligthdm) and I'm on 4.13.0-19-generic and it is the same. I would like to have your rpm too...

audir8 modprobe it87 give me the error "No such device". You have a lot of information with sensors on your system, what motherboard do you have?

Thank you both

Edit: I tried with another module, the nct6775, and it shows something more:

Code:
                $ sensors
                amdgpu-pci-2300
                fan1:        1266 RPM
                temp1:        +27.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)

nct6795-isa-0a20
                Adapter: ISA adapter
                in0:                    +0.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)
                in1:                    +1.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in2:                    +3.42 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in3:                    +3.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in4:                    +1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in5:                    +0.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in6:                    +0.85 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in7:                    +3.42 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in8:                    +3.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in9:                    +1.82 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in10:                   +0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
                in11:                   +1.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in12:                   +0.91 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in13:                   +0.67 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                in14:                   +1.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                fan1:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                fan2:                  1109 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                fan3:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                fan4:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                fan5:                   551 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                SYSTIN:                 +33.0°C  (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = CPU diode
                CPUTIN:                 +31.0°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
                AUXTIN0:                +34.5°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
                AUXTIN1:               -128.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                AUXTIN2:                +17.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                AUXTIN3:                 -2.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                SMBUSMASTER 0:          +30.0°C  
                PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP:   +0.0°C  
                PCH_CHIP_TEMP:           +0.0°C  
                PCH_CPU_TEMP:            +0.0°C  
                intrusion0:            ALARM
                intrusion1:            ALARM
                beep_enable:           disabled
                Last edited by donbastiano; 11 December 2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
                  debianxfce or maybe we are both affected Seriously, I think mine is wrong but it is not easy to prove it, in the BIOS it is around 40°C. Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu 17.10 (Unity + Ligthdm) and I'm on 4.13.0-19-generic and it is the same. I would like to have your rpm too...

audir8 modprobe it87 give me the error "No such device". You have a lot of information with sensors on your system, what motherboard do you have?

Thank you both

Edit: I tried with another module, the nct6775, and it shows something more:

Code:
                  $ sensors
                  amdgpu-pci-2300
                  fan1: 1266 RPM
                  temp1: +27.0°C (crit = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)

nct6795-isa-0a20
                  Adapter: ISA adapter
                  in0: +0.53 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
                  in1: +1.03 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in2: +3.42 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in3: +3.39 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in4: +1.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in5: +0.15 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in6: +0.85 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in7: +3.42 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in8: +3.31 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in9: +1.82 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in10: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V)
                  in11: +1.15 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in12: +0.91 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in13: +0.67 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  in14: +1.53 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                  fan1: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                  fan2: 1109 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                  fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                  fan4: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                  fan5: 551 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                  SYSTIN: +33.0°C (high = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C) ALARM sensor = CPU diode
                  CPUTIN: +31.0°C (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C) sensor = thermistor
                  AUXTIN0: +34.5°C (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C) sensor = thermistor
                  AUXTIN1: -128.0°C sensor = thermistor
                  AUXTIN2: +17.0°C sensor = thermistor
                  AUXTIN3: -2.0°C sensor = thermistor
                  SMBUSMASTER 0: +30.0°C
                  PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP: +0.0°C
                  PCH_CHIP_TEMP: +0.0°C
                  PCH_CPU_TEMP: +0.0°C
                  intrusion0: ALARM
                  intrusion1: ALARM
                  beep_enable: disabled
                  I have a Gigabyte AB350M-D3H, it's probably the cheapest AM4 board with 4 RAM slots. The 2nd device in my lm_sensors output is probably the GTX 1050 or the gskill 3200 RAM I have, otherwise, I am not sure, maybe lm_sensors is detecting something that's not there.

If you did sudo make install on the repo, with linux-headers installed (the compile would likely fail otherwise), you should have the new it87 module installed and sudo modprobe it87 should work. You can also do lsmod|grep it87 after startup to see if such a module is being loaded or not. Maybe MSI doesn't expose what my Gigabyte board +1700 exposes. The new kernel might be the only way to get the temp on your Ryzen.
                  Last edited by audir8; 13 December 2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I'm now on 4.15. Has anyone had success reading the sensors? I still get no sensors found on a sensors-detect run.

Comment

I don't have 4.15 right now, but it was working fine when I tried it on one of the release candidates a few weeks ago.

1700X | PRIME X370-PRO

Comment

Working...
                      X