Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Zen Temperature Monitoring Queued For Linux 4.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by oleyska View Post

    it seems no-one wants to use the 4.14 as actual LTS while canonical being the first to say that 4.15 is the next lts for 18.04 if I'm not mistaken :-)
    Exactly...
    It would have been nice to have these AMD contributions in the 4.14 kernel already. It could have gone a long way in deduplication of efforts.
    Distribution maintainers now have two options:
    1. wait out 4.15 so they can offer better support for modern hardware, if they do this...
      • they will either have to update the kernel version sometime, which can be a source of instability. Dealing with which will waste resources.
      • or they will have to backport at least the security patches for their version of the 4.15 kernel. This backporting will inevitably waste resources.
    2. use 4.14 LTS for the sake of stability. In this case they will have to backport hardware enablement patches from day 0, since the kernel does not support all notable hardware pieces available at it's launch. This backporting will also inevitably waste resources.

    I know it's not the open source way, but some coordination would have been nice among different stakeholders and projects. Yes, even altering the kernel releases... say make 4.15 the LTS release.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

      Exactly...
      It would have been nice to have these AMD contributions in the 4.14 kernel already. It could have gone a long way in deduplication of efforts.
      Distribution maintainers now have two options:
      1. wait out 4.15 so they can offer better support for modern hardware, if they do this...
        • they will either have to update the kernel version sometime, which can be a source of instability. Dealing with which will waste resources.
        • or they will have to backport at least the security patches for their version of the 4.15 kernel. This backporting will inevitably waste resources.
      2. use 4.14 LTS for the sake of stability. In this case they will have to backport hardware enablement patches from day 0, since the kernel does not support all notable hardware pieces available at it's launch. This backporting will also inevitably waste resources.



      I know it's not the open source way, but some coordination would have been nice among different stakeholders and projects. Yes, even altering the kernel releases... say make 4.15 the LTS release.
      It would be nice if the LTS-versions would be more balanced and also suitable for Desktops (and Servers).
      But as most Linux business people gave up the desktop instead of fighting the problematic business tactics still around that is not to be expected - and even Linux Foundation shows mistrust in their own child:
      https://www.itwire.com/open-sauce/79...rom-a-mac.html
      Maybe I am wrong, but Linux LTS stands only for Android-base today - not even server people would have chosen the use of 4.14 feature-wise over 4.15 - and I am pretty sure the experts are well aware of that.
      And those `must haves' are not AMD-only - even if those new support is essential - but also for Intel. So for x86 waiting for 4.15 at least would have been appropriate.
      But this is the game for several LTSs back ... no one was suited for the Desktop. But I think it never was so extreme than this round ... 4.14 would not be usable today for a recent x86 desktop or server ... and not because features haven been pushed early but those features had been delayed for much too long ... for a reason, maybe ... but not in the interest of users of current HW.
      These delays are understandable as Linux is not a first class citizen in the OS domain ... Linux desktop domination ... it was nearer in the 1990ies than today.
      Latest News are more shocking than encouraging ... and even Hurd is used more often than Linux on Intel:
      http://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-i...rating-system/
      http://www.zdnet.com/article/minixs-...-was-using-it/
      The only positive thing - Linux will survive as free software - no chance for a proprietary supercomputing OS ...
      All other domains ... we will see - or not ...
      Last edited by JMB9; 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        But it is always necessary to install and run lm_sensors? I have a ryzen 1600 and MSI Tomawahk b350, does anyone know what I have to do to see the cpu temp and fan?

        Comment


        • #14
          99% supercomputers today run Linux and Desktop era Windows or Linux is passe except for gaming.

          Comment


          • #15
            donbastiano If you want useful sensor information in one place, mostly yes. I've been using this kernel module: https://github.com/groeck/it87, you can do sensors-detect --auto, and run sensors. Gnome has some useful widgets for lm_sensors information too.

            The "sensor = AMD AMDSI" description is the processor temperature for my 1700, and the fan RPMs seems right to me above the temps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...dfdTVkUXdOZU0w

            Comment


            • #16
              audi100quattro thank you, at the moment it is not working properly, it says no sensors detected but actually shows:
              Code:
              $ sensors
              amdgpu-pci-2300
              Adapter: PCI adapter
              fan1:        1252 RPM
              temp1:        +23.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
              the temperature are wrong, I read something about an offset of 20°C. I think it is a little high, especially considering the fan, have to try some new kernel, I'm with a 4.13.10, and eventually change the thermal paste, from a small try it appears to work quieter and cooler with windows7 that actually says hw not supported. Furthermore I have to search some program to check the GPU (any suggestion is welcome )

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
                audi100quattro thank you, at the moment it is not working properly, it says no sensors detected but actually shows:
                Code:
                $ sensors
                amdgpu-pci-2300
                Adapter: PCI adapter
                fan1: 1252 RPM
                temp1: +23.0°C (crit = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)
                the temperature are wrong, I read something about an offset of 20°C. I think it is a little high, especially considering the fan, have to try some new kernel, I'm with a 4.13.10, and eventually change the thermal paste, from a small try it appears to work quieter and cooler with windows7 that actually says hw not supported. Furthermore I have to search some program to check the GPU (any suggestion is welcome )
                23C is low idle temperature and can be right. When my room temp is 21C I have with RX560 26C:
                Code:
                [email protected]:~$ sensors
                k10temp-pci-00c3
                Adapter: PCI adapter
                temp1:        +36.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                
                amdgpu-pci-2500
                Adapter: PCI adapter
                fan1:        1005 RPM
                temp1:        +26.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
                Last edited by debianxfce; 12-04-2017, 03:11 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  donbastiano You might need to modprobe -r it87 && modprobe it87, if you've done make install on the repo. Maybe your kernel version is causing some issues? It should work with 4.11+ I believe.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    debianxfce or maybe we are both affected Seriously, I think mine is wrong but it is not easy to prove it, in the BIOS it is around 40°C. Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu 17.10 (Unity + Ligthdm) and I'm on 4.13.0-19-generic and it is the same. I would like to have your rpm too...

                    audi100quattro modprobe it87 give me the error "No such device". You have a lot of information with sensors on your system, what motherboard do you have?

                    Thank you both

                    Edit: I tried with another module, the nct6775, and it shows something more:

                    Code:
                    $ sensors
                    amdgpu-pci-2300
                    Adapter: PCI adapter
                    fan1:        1266 RPM
                    temp1:        +27.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
                    
                    nct6795-isa-0a20
                    Adapter: ISA adapter
                    in0:                    +0.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)
                    in1:                    +1.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in2:                    +3.42 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in3:                    +3.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in4:                    +1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in5:                    +0.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in6:                    +0.85 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in7:                    +3.42 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in8:                    +3.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in9:                    +1.82 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in10:                   +0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
                    in11:                   +1.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in12:                   +0.91 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in13:                   +0.67 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    in14:                   +1.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
                    fan1:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                    fan2:                  1109 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                    fan3:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                    fan4:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                    fan5:                   551 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
                    SYSTIN:                 +33.0°C  (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = CPU diode
                    CPUTIN:                 +31.0°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
                    AUXTIN0:                +34.5°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
                    AUXTIN1:               -128.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                    AUXTIN2:                +17.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                    AUXTIN3:                 -2.0°C    sensor = thermistor
                    SMBUSMASTER 0:          +30.0°C  
                    PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP:   +0.0°C  
                    PCH_CHIP_TEMP:           +0.0°C  
                    PCH_CPU_TEMP:            +0.0°C  
                    intrusion0:            ALARM
                    intrusion1:            ALARM
                    beep_enable:           disabled
                    Last edited by donbastiano; 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
                      debianxfce or maybe we are both affected Seriously, I think mine is wrong but it is not easy to prove it, in the BIOS it is around 40°C. Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu 17.10 (Unity + Ligthdm) and I'm on 4.13.0-19-generic and it is the same. I would like to have your rpm too...

                      audi100quattro modprobe it87 give me the error "No such device". You have a lot of information with sensors on your system, what motherboard do you have?

                      Thank you both

                      Edit: I tried with another module, the nct6775, and it shows something more:

                      Code:
                      $ sensors
                      amdgpu-pci-2300
                      Adapter: PCI adapter
                      fan1: 1266 RPM
                      temp1: +27.0°C (crit = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)
                      
                      nct6795-isa-0a20
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      in0: +0.53 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
                      in1: +1.03 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in2: +3.42 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in3: +3.39 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in4: +1.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in5: +0.15 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in6: +0.85 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in7: +3.42 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in8: +3.31 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in9: +1.82 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in10: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V)
                      in11: +1.15 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in12: +0.91 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in13: +0.67 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      in14: +1.53 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
                      fan1: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan2: 1109 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan4: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan5: 551 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      SYSTIN: +33.0°C (high = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C) ALARM sensor = CPU diode
                      CPUTIN: +31.0°C (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C) sensor = thermistor
                      AUXTIN0: +34.5°C (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C) sensor = thermistor
                      AUXTIN1: -128.0°C sensor = thermistor
                      AUXTIN2: +17.0°C sensor = thermistor
                      AUXTIN3: -2.0°C sensor = thermistor
                      SMBUSMASTER 0: +30.0°C
                      PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP: +0.0°C
                      PCH_CHIP_TEMP: +0.0°C
                      PCH_CPU_TEMP: +0.0°C
                      intrusion0: ALARM
                      intrusion1: ALARM
                      beep_enable: disabled
                      I have a Gigabyte AB350M-D3H, it's probably the cheapest AM4 board with 4 RAM slots. The 2nd device in my lm_sensors output is probably the GTX 1050 or the gskill 3200 RAM I have, otherwise, I am not sure, maybe lm_sensors is detecting something that's not there.

                      If you did sudo make install on the repo, with linux-headers installed (the compile would likely fail otherwise), you should have the new it87 module installed and sudo modprobe it87 should work. You can also do lsmod|grep it87 after startup to see if such a module is being loaded or not. Maybe MSI doesn't expose what my Gigabyte board +1700 exposes. The new kernel might be the only way to get the temp on your Ryzen.
                      Last edited by audi100quattro; 12-13-2017, 09:43 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X