Qualcomm Centriq 2400 Series ARM Server CPUs Officially Launch - Up To 48 Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

I should have mentioned: Only serious answers appreciated. Thanks for nothing.
    See http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic...quirements.pdf

tl;dr; for enterprise linux support (ie. what they are aiming for with this chip), it means UEFI and upstream kernel. Ie. it looks the same as x86. Totally different ballgame compared to phones/tablets/community-boards

Comment

Is anyone going to actually ship it? I've had enough trouble ordering A1100-based ARM servers

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
        Kind of reminds me of Itanic with those prices, ha.
        Huh? At under $2k for the top model, these ARM server chips are surprisingly inexpensive, a real bargain even. Most models of Xeon today are priced in the $1k to $4k range. And the new Epyc is priced in the $1k to $4k range. And yes, even the ill fated Itanium, when it was new, was priced between $1k and $4k. I'm honestly not sure what point you were trying to make?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Huh? At under $2k for the top model, these ARM server chips are surprisingly inexpensive, a real bargain even. Most models of Xeon today are priced in the $1k to $4k range. And the new Epyc is priced in the $1k to $4k range. And yes, even the ill fated Itanium, when it was new, was priced between $1k and $4k. I'm honestly not sure what point you were trying to make?
          No major vendor, Dell, HP, IBM, has picked up anything made by AMD (Opteron A), Cavium or Qualcomm AFAIK. Availability has been sketchy at best of any ARM desktop/server class system that we've been hearing about touching on 5 years now. I read about 5-10% market share today, which isn't going to happen at these prices or performance levels. Call me a ARM on desktop/server pessimist, and I just wanted to say Itanic.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post

No major vendor, Dell, HP, IBM, has picked up anything made by AMD (Opteron A), Cavium or Qualcomm AFAIK. Availability has been sketchy at best of any ARM desktop/server class system that we've been hearing about touching on 5 years now. I read about 5-10% market share today, which isn't going to happen at these prices or performance levels. Call me a ARM on desktop/server pessimist, and I just wanted to say Itanic.
            Probably because ARM still refuses to consider standardizing a base platform across all its devices. SBSA is a start, but it only applies to servers, and there's enough platform-level variances between different ARM SoC vendors to make it impossible for a standard OS image to be deployed across all ARM hardware.

4years ago I was speaking to a Chinese webhost who was one of the early adopters of ARM servers. He said that they have replaced all the ARM servers and have gone back to the standard x64 servers because, in his own words, "it is just plain ridiculous that every server requires its own customized installer which cannot work on another server".

Comment

Hence the progressive move toward UEFI, at least for server type of machine.
              To avoid the whole "one single special weird specific installer for each damn last server" madness currently prevailing in the ARM world.

These servers have potential for file servers, or (light-weight) web servers.

But also as nodes on compile farms for ARMv8 software. (It's always a tiny bit simpler when you don't need to cross compile).

With hope, this push toward UEFI could enventually influence a bit outside the server realm to help bring more standardisation to the other ARM devices.

Comment

Ok we finally have big ARM CPU, now is time run Crysis (QEMU / Wine arm) on it and show results.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Only serious answers appreciated
                  ask serious questions

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    Ok we finally have big ARM CPU, now is time run Crysis (QEMU / Wine arm) on it and show results.
                    why not run arm code on xeon via qemu and show results?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      why not run arm code on xeon via qemu and show results?
                      Not sure if you're being sarcastic or just mindless commenting. Ruthan's post is clearly referring to the famous internet meme "But can it run Crysis?". It has nothing to do with emulation efficiency. Why would anyone want to run ARM code on Xeon?

Comment

Working...
                      X