Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER9 Could Be A Game Changer For Cryptocurrency Mining

Phoronix: POWER9 Could Be A Game Changer For Cryptocurrency Mining

Forthcoming POWER9 processors could be a game changer for cryptocurrency mining based upon some preliminary performance data we have received...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great for crypto mining to move away from GPU's, but I swear I read somewhere that people were getting 40-43MH/s Eth with tweaked Vega64's. Could be wrong.

Comment

POWER9 also supports SMT8 (8-way multithreading)

Comment

Yeah, I predict: Nobody will use these for real coin mining given the price and the fact that GPUs/ASICs are going to move forward a whole lot faster than iterations of the POWER architecture.

Comment

Why is POWER9 faster?

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
            Why is POWER9 faster?

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
              Why is POWER9 faster?
              Probably because it's got a good chunk of the silicon area dedicated to built-in ASICs for hashing algorithms like versions of SHA (which is what pretty much all crypto "currencies" use). Just about all efficient "mining" hardware is built around ASICs for hashing (there's also FPGA-based hardware but my understanding is that they're way less common). There's also hardware like GPUs that can do the rather simple math most hashing algorithms use at a very high rate, but they can't hold a candle to an ASIC in terms of efficiency, which is why bitcoin went from CPUs to GPUs and then ASICs.

As for monero itself, we are talking about something specifically designed to take up loads of unnecessary memory so it can't be done on pure ASICs, thus wasting loads of energy, and which, thanks to it's lack of a public ledger like bitcoin has, is mostly used to launder bitcoin from illegitimate sources like narcotics, illegal firearms, forged documents and cryptolocker ransom payments. So on the whole it's pretty suspect even for a crypto "currency".
              Last edited by L_A_G; 07 November 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

L_A_G My interest in Monero is mainly to avoid the high degree of miner centralization that has occurred on Scrypt and similar algorithms. What exactly is the difference between a faceless corporation dictating policy in financial matters and a centralized miner farm in some foreign country controlling some large fraction of what is and is not allowed on the network?

CryptoNight (the algorithm Monero uses) is interesting specifically because it is such a memory pig that CPU and GPU mining has remained viable and, in my opinion, the network is stronger due to the number of varying miners owned by many different organisations and individuals. Plus, it's just fun to still be able to mine a currency without requiring an up front payment for extremely special purpose (i.e. useless in <n> months) hardware.

For what it's worth this benchmark was mainly intended to show what POWER9 can do even at this stage. Vega 64 "only" does ~2KH/s and uses more power, so I'd say POWER's a fairly strong contender for CryptoNight mining. This benchmark also hints at what POWER9 can do for scientific compute if your kernel needs to work on larger datasets....

Comment

Coin mining is rivalling real mining for destroying resources...

Comment

madscientist159
                    Monero and other "currencies" designed to be ASIC-resistant really aren't that much better at avoiding centralized control by a few groups/organizations who can cough up a lot of money for very efficient mining rigs. The main difference is that monero is right now much closer to the start of the difficulty curve so a much smaller and less efficient operation is still viable, but as the difficulty goes up, as it did with bitcoin, more expensive and specialized setups will be required for the running costs to match the payout.

What it all really seems to come down to is an attempt to allow small players to make money on this racket for a bit longer than bitcoin, which moved from GPUs to FPGAs and then dedicated ASICs a lot faster than most people (myself included) anticipated. These ledger-free crypto "currencies" are ultimately just about people trying to get a cut out of the transactions people want to make untraceable and the reason why they want to make them untraceable is in 99% of cases because they involve illegal activity (narcotics, illegal firearms, forged documents, ransoms, etc.).

As for POWER9s number crunching potential, all this shows is that it's got some pretty good hashing ASICs built in, but proper general purpose number crunching, which is what scientific compute is all about is still best done on actually programmable hardware like GPUs and CPU vector instruction units. POWER9 may have some decent vector instruction hardware, but with this level of efficiency it clearly wasn't being used here as non-ASICs simply can't achieve this level of efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                    X