X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Why AMD, why? Couldn't you wait to see how Ryzen Mobile sells first? If Intel is not that greedy, this will tank your APU....
    Don't underestimate Intel (and the fact that it has the most advanced and expensive tech inside), this will probably sell for 1000$ or something like that, and will be available only in select devices like Iris Pro. And will be BGA, so only available in soldered products.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 November 2017, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    Say good bye to the Intel linux mesa driver and ALL of their paid-developer contributions. Paid Intel developers are a huge portion of the Mesa developers.

Leave a comment:

• audi.rs4
    replied
    I see this as more of a Laptop Workstation product (even though Intel does mention AAA gaming). Notice there is no mention of Vega. I think this is going to be labeled as Radeon Pro. Just a thought. Either way, these will be higher consuming and priced, (HBM2...) so these are in a different league than their newly launched Ryzen APUs.

Leave a comment:

• tyred
    replied
    Was wondering if they were planning on making their own discrete gpu after I saw the hades canyon nuc on their timeline. Seems like this answered the question. This definitely seems like its made for the premium laptops like the XPS and macbook.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Oh, ok, AMD just RIP'ed their mobile APUs... Nice.
    Remember that outside the tech enthusiast community AMD has very low brand recognition next to Intel.

So for the 80% or maybe even 90% or 95% of people shopping for laptops, AMD probably gets more money by having something on a device with an Intel logo than by putting a product much more profitable on a per-unit basis on a device with an AMD logo.

Leave a comment:

• samdraz
    replied
    This will likely hit 15" ultrabook segment, not 13"

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Uh, Intel is using EMIB here and it is an extremely advanced interconnect that allows for compact and high-speed I/O between completely different pieces of silicon made by completely different manufacturers on completely different lithographic processes. It's light years ahead of putting some traces on a PCB to connect to chips together like has been done since the 1970s. Additionally, it's vastly more efficient than requiring a massive silicon interposer that is cost prohibitive.
    Sounds a lot like Infinity Fabric but with a don't sue me marketing rename.

Leave a comment:

• sykobee
    replied
    This is a high-end product - most likely it will be seen in MacBook Pros, more expensive iMacs, and high-end PC laptops/tablets like Surface Pro.

It will not affect Raven Ridge, which is for cheaper markets. Indeed the Vega name on the high-end Intel SKU could be favourable to the Vega name on Raven Ridge.

I don't know what the plan is going forward - are AMD going to provide a new GPU each year for the high-end APUs from Intel, even when AMD themselves move into that market?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I don't think this is going to hurt AMD APU sales too much, particularly in mobile scenarios (which this product seems to be targeted toward). Ryzen currently has better performance-per-watt, particularly when you're not overclocking, and nobody overclocks laptops. I also hear Vega scales down very nicely. So, I'm sure Ryzen APUs will be a clear winner for this generation.

But, it is still a bit strange that AMD would make such a deal with Intel. Back before Ryzen was released, this move would've made a lot more sense, but at this point AMD is doing well enough to not take pity money from Intel anymore.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    From AMD's press release, this is a semi-custom design. I wonder which company will be responsible for providing graphics drivers for this product.

Will it be AMD? Or will it be Intel? In the latter case I fear a repeat of the PowerVR situation, where Intel would just stop publishing drivers after not too long.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X