X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will likely hit 15" ultrabook segment, not 13"

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
      Oh, ok, AMD just RIP'ed their mobile APUs... Nice.
      Remember that outside the tech enthusiast community AMD has very low brand recognition next to Intel.

So for the 80% or maybe even 90% or 95% of people shopping for laptops, AMD probably gets more money by having something on a device with an Intel logo than by putting a product much more profitable on a per-unit basis on a device with an AMD logo.

Comment

Was wondering if they were planning on making their own discrete gpu after I saw the hades canyon nuc on their timeline. Seems like this answered the question. This definitely seems like its made for the premium laptops like the XPS and macbook.

Comment

I see this as more of a Laptop Workstation product (even though Intel does mention AAA gaming). Notice there is no mention of Vega. I think this is going to be labeled as Radeon Pro. Just a thought. Either way, these will be higher consuming and priced, (HBM2...) so these are in a different league than their newly launched Ryzen APUs.

Comment

Say good bye to the Intel linux mesa driver and ALL of their paid-developer contributions. Paid Intel developers are a huge portion of the Mesa developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              Why AMD, why? Couldn't you wait to see how Ryzen Mobile sells first? If Intel is not that greedy, this will tank your APU....
              Don't underestimate Intel (and the fact that it has the most advanced and expensive tech inside), this will probably sell for 1000$ or something like that, and will be available only in select devices like Iris Pro. And will be BGA, so only available in soldered products.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 November 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Inb4 all of these exclusively go into Macbooks.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Say good bye to the Intel linux mesa driver and ALL of their paid-developer contributions. Paid Intel developers are a huge portion of the Mesa developers.
                  Or welcome them into the AMD driver teams, since at least their mobile 8th gen chips will use AMD chips i expect Intel to focus a team on uber optimizing MESA at the minimal for their VEGA version specially on areas like RADV and OpenCL.

I don't really think Intel will simply let all that new found compute power on their mobile parts and let it go to waste and end up saying just saying fuck it is AMD problem not mine since the Intel sticker will probably be very visible in those devices.

Additionally i think would be great for developers and users later on if this Intel/AMD team up solution could bring a bigger team together(with colabora, vmware and others) to focus on things like out of the box OpenCL 2.1, RADV optimizations, Wayland, etc. converting these devices(and the Ryzen ones) into very mean develop machines

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Sounds a lot like Infinity Fabric but with a don't sue me marketing rename.
                    Lol... Infinity Fabric is nothing more than a proprietary extension to PCI express with too much marketing added to it. You don't even understand the difference between the physical layer implemented by EMIB and an addon to PCIe.

Comment

Whaaaat!!!!???? An AMD Radeon GPU on an Intel CPU?! But surely, I'am dreaming, right? I can't believe it is true.

While it looks like it could bring AMD more visibility in the market, this also sounds so much confusing because they already have their own high performance CPUs which they could pair the Radeons with.

But anything that is good for AMD is welcome by me! We need competition. I really hope that this is the fighting chance that AMD deserves. (Although, it was the same Intel who had fucked them over in the past.)

I hope Lisa Su was right in saying that AMD are really back and that they are just getting started. I guess Raja Koduri too deserves praise here for the hard work RTG has put in to make this possible.

Woohoo!! Great times to be living in as a PC enthusiast!

Comment

Working...
                      X