Intel Announces CPU With HBM2 Memory & AMD Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Why AMD, why? Couldn't you wait to see how Ryzen Mobile sells first? If Intel is not that greedy, this will tank your APU....
    Better to make money on every chip sold no?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post
      This can not been an easy decision for Intel but really shows that they wanted to make the best chip possible.
      Lol, what? If anything, this shows intel did not want to make the best chip possible. It shows they gave up, and outsourced the work to AMD instead. Not that it's a bad thing. Maybe the game studios will finally start optimizing for Radeon now, seeing as intel has a significant percentage of the casual gamer market.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 November 2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if this Radeon chip has ASTC and other things we've come to expect from Intel chipsets as of late. Cool horizontal interposer/SIP architecture, I wonder what it costs to manufacture that crossbar.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Lol, what? If anything, this shows intel did not want to make the best chip possible. It shows they gave up, and outsourced the work to AMD instead.
          WTF? They gave up the work to someone who has decades of experience (ATI = AMD) making GPUs superior to theirs. It seems like they DO want to make the best chip possible.

Comment

It seems that everyone forgot the most important thing here: Intel will keep using their own eGPU as the primary one, the radeon one will be the "external" gpu to be used with something like PRIME. If confirmed that's really a pity.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
              Oh, ok, AMD just RIP'ed their mobile APUs... Nice.
              Nah, the APU's serve a different price range and performance range than these new ASICs from what I understand.

Comment

From AMD's press release, this is a semi-custom design. I wonder which company will be responsible for providing graphics drivers for this product.

Will it be AMD? Or will it be Intel? In the latter case I fear a repeat of the PowerVR situation, where Intel would just stop publishing drivers after not too long.

Comment

I don't think this is going to hurt AMD APU sales too much, particularly in mobile scenarios (which this product seems to be targeted toward). Ryzen currently has better performance-per-watt, particularly when you're not overclocking, and nobody overclocks laptops. I also hear Vega scales down very nicely. So, I'm sure Ryzen APUs will be a clear winner for this generation.

But, it is still a bit strange that AMD would make such a deal with Intel. Back before Ryzen was released, this move would've made a lot more sense, but at this point AMD is doing well enough to not take pity money from Intel anymore.

Comment

This is a high-end product - most likely it will be seen in MacBook Pros, more expensive iMacs, and high-end PC laptops/tablets like Surface Pro.

It will not affect Raven Ridge, which is for cheaper markets. Indeed the Vega name on the high-end Intel SKU could be favourable to the Vega name on Raven Ridge.

I don't know what the plan is going forward - are AMD going to provide a new GPU each year for the high-end APUs from Intel, even when AMD themselves move into that market?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Uh, Intel is using EMIB here and it is an extremely advanced interconnect that allows for compact and high-speed I/O between completely different pieces of silicon made by completely different manufacturers on completely different lithographic processes. It's light years ahead of putting some traces on a PCB to connect to chips together like has been done since the 1970s. Additionally, it's vastly more efficient than requiring a massive silicon interposer that is cost prohibitive.
                      Sounds a lot like Infinity Fabric but with a don't sue me marketing rename.

Comment

Working...
                      X