No announcement yet.

Intel Announces CPU With HBM2 Memory & AMD Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that my next laptop will be an Intel one once again.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      Seems like Intel started loving the "Glue" LOL but great for FOSS
      Uh, Intel is using EMIB here and it is an extremely advanced interconnect that allows for compact and high-speed I/O between completely different pieces of silicon made by completely different manufacturers on completely different lithographic processes. It's light years ahead of putting some traces on a PCB to connect to chips together like has been done since the 1970s. Additionally, it's vastly more efficient than requiring a massive silicon interposer that is cost prohibitive.

Comment

So, yeah. Will it be AMD or Intel providing the drivers for this GPU? I'd assume AMD..

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Why AMD, why? Couldn't you wait to see how Ryzen Mobile sells first? If Intel is not that greedy, this will tank your APU....
          Maybe because if not Amd then Nvidia?
          besides hbm2+Intel+Radeon=extremely expensive so this won't tank APU

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why didn't Intel just put some resources on beefing up their own GPU?

Intel haven't done shit with their GPU since the days of Haswell.
            Four generation later and its still the same GPU with just minor tweaks.
            It's not fully theirs. They were using nVidia patents while the licensing agreement was active. Now that agreement is dead they likely can't do much with what they already have without violating something from nvidia. Picking AMD part they aren't violating patents plus get a finished part - it's funny looking during press release, but it gets the hardware done.

I wonder if it will end up in "gaming" laptops.

Comment

So this is for laptop/desktops prosumer leaving Iris for compute?
              It should make developing games easier, 1 less driver path to support with the added benefit of raising the minimum quality settings. It will be fun watching AMD's hardware climb up the Steam's PC VIDEO CARD USAGE BY MFG over the next few years. Maybe not so fun for Nvidia.
              I wonder what AMD is getting in return memory controller tweaks or additional instruction sets or just hard cold cash for the looming debit payoff? Perhaps a bit of all the above?
              Either way the pc front just got a quite a bit more interesting.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

So... Intel brings the Management Engine, AMD provides the PSP, Chris Walker the beverages, and we're gonna party like it's (Orwell's) 1984!

Comment

Inb4 all of these exclusively go into Macbooks.

Comment

Today is huge day,
                    Intel+amd
                    Qualcomm+Broadcom

The only thing left is,
                    Gnome + KDE??😂

Comment

Oh, ok, AMD just RIP'ed their mobile APUs... Nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X