AMD EPYC 7351P Linux Performance: 16 Core / 32 Thread Server CPU For ~$750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Hey Michael , does this board from Tyan support 2 Epyc? Do you plan any 2x Epyc test vs the 2x Xeon Gold?

The strongest Epyc trade blows with the 2x Xeon Gold, it would be interesting to see how far can it go coupled with another epyc
    The Tyan board is only 1P.... I am hopeful though of being able to test a two socket EPYC board when available; AMD previously indicated it sounds like they'll send out a second identical EPYC when I have such board available.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The Tyan board is only 1P.... I am hopeful though of being able to test a two socket EPYC board when available; AMD previously indicated it sounds like they'll send out a second identical EPYC when I have such board available.
      yes pls do want

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Tyan may be able to offer some insight about European Epyc availability.
        Thank you Michael,

Hi anolting

Please feel free to reply or send us a private message, and we will help you on this right away.

Best,
        John @ Tyan

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          AMD why do you put a 750 dollar price tag on a EPYC server cpu with 4 die chips and 16 active cores and for "Desktop" you put a 1100dollar price tag on a Threadripper with only 2 die chips and also16 cores ???
          There are 8 cores per die; having a pair of 8 fully-functional cores is inherently more valuable than 4x dies with 4 functional cores. Also, Threadripper offers overclocking. Set the 1950X to 4GHz and you've got yourself a much faster CPU than the 7351P.
          sure i know the threadripper line get the best selected chips but still this feels bad the epyc 16 core chip has a higher price to produce but still it is sold cheaper ...
          The differences in manufacturing costs between the two series is negligible. Both SP3 and TR4 are almost identical, and it has already been proven that the dummy dies in TR have transistors on them, but they're dysfunctional.
          I bought a 1900X and 1920X threadripper this month and even for the 8core the threadripper costs more than a 8core epyc cpu
          Well if it makes you feel better, the Epyc motherboards are more expensive. TR boards range from $350-$550, but Epyc boards seem to start around $450.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 19 October 2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

But it would be helluva niche if AMD would open Epycs for voerclocking. Supermicro's 2P board is €600. Put two 24-core models on it, overclock them under watercooling and you got yourself computer for Star Trek Enterprise 1071-E ;o)

Yes, I know Supermicro was never overclocking name, but I'm hoping CoreBoot will be able to remedy this...

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
              But it would be helluva niche if AMD would open Epycs for voerclocking. Supermicro's 2P board is €600. Put two 24-core models on it, overclock them under watercooling and you got yourself computer for Star Trek Enterprise 1071-E ;o)

Yes, I know Supermicro was never overclocking name, but I'm hoping CoreBoot will be able to remedy this...
              By the time a Supermicro board would get OC support with CoreBoot, the CPUs would likely be obsolete. Besides, I don't think the VRMs on these boards could handle an overclock.

Comment

Originally posted by anolting View Post
                Can someone tell a European where to buy the CPU for this price?
                I always use Tweakers.net to get an overview of what is a reasonable benchmark price in the EU. Granted, the site is focussed on the Dutch speaking markets of The Netherlands and Belgium (site is only in Dutch), but there Pricewatch is absolutely priceless (complete product database, price history of multiple stores, etc). They actually make money with that thing, and I think it would be pretty cool if somehow Phoronix and Tweakers could figure out a way of how this could be integrated in a mutually beneficial way. Calculating cost of ownership suddenly becomes feasible.

Epyc 7251: €522-€591 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/8331...epyc-7251.html
                Epyc 7351P: €824-€930 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/8331...pyc-7351p.html
                Epyc 7601: €4560 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/9996...epyc-7601.html

etc

Disclosure: I am in no way connected to Tweakers, just use the site often.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                  Geez, talk about taking a beating. If it weren't for years of stagnant 'improvements' and horrible price gouging, I would almost feel sorry for Intel.
                  No kidding, I'm shocked by how Epyc utterly demolishes Xeon Gold in every benchmark. Seems AMD's claims hold true, that a single socket Epyc competes favorably with *dual* Xeon's. AMD has had the absolute performance lead over intel only a few times over the past several decades, but usually it's has been a slim to modest lead. This new Epyc is a game changer, it has completely leap-frogged intel's Xeon and just completely destroys it. Well done AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    AMD why do you put a 750 dollar price tag on a EPYC server cpu with 4 die chips and 16 active cores and for "Desktop" you put a 1100dollar price tag on a Threadripper with only 2 die chips and also16 cores ???

sure i know the threadripper line get the best selected chips but still this feels bad the epyc 16 core chip has a higher price to produce but still it is sold cheaper ...

I bought a 1900X and 1920X threadripper this month and even for the 8core the threadripper costs more than a 8core epyc cpu
                    Then build out both with all the remaining components and compare pricing to performance.

Comment

Does anybody know if gcc 7.2 has the avx512 disabled in -march=native? I was talking to someone about the previous epyc result, which I think were done with gcc 6.3, and they said it wasn't that impressive because in gcc 6.x avx512 is only used if explicitly flagged and it was not in the benchmarks. Does anybody more knowledgeable than me know if the performance of the intel chips was indeed held back in these benchmarks?

Comment

Working...
                      X