AMD EPYC 7351P Linux Performance: 16 Core / 32 Thread Server CPU For ~$750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 7351P Linux Performance: 16 Core / 32 Thread Server CPU For ~$750

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 7351P Linux Performance: 16 Core / 32 Thread Server CPU For ~$750

Earlier this week we looked at the EPYC 7251 Linux performance as AMD's lowest-cost server CPU from this latest generation of Zen-based processors. That eight core / sixteen thread CPU packed a nice amount of performance considering its hitting the $500 price point, but if you are looking for a single socket system and have $750 USD to lay out on a CPU, the AMD EPYC 7351P packs in even more value.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Someone at AMD please please please convince the boneheads at marketing to push your motherboard partners to make proper WS class mobos for Epyc with lots of M.2 slots(or at least 3 as the ThreadRipper ones), while you are at it call those fabs to push on Epyc production because no e-tailer on earth sell Epyc CPUs yet. All those Xeons on NewEgg and Amazon make me sad

Comment

Geez, talk about taking a beating. If it weren't for years of stagnant 'improvements' and horrible price gouging, I would almost feel sorry for Intel.

Comment

Using interleaving memory access across all numa nodes makes epyc unable to show itself in its best and hides badly written applications. If you repeat these tests and take care of which apps are numa aware and do their memory allocations correctly, you'll get additional 5-10% of performance out of epyc. Probably from intel as well. Which raises the question - do you also use memory interleaving on intel?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
          Using interleaving memory access across all numa nodes makes epyc unable to show itself in its best and hides badly written applications. If you repeat these tests and take care of which apps are numa aware and do their memory allocations correctly, you'll get additional 5-10% of performance out of epyc. Probably from intel as well. Which raises the question - do you also use memory interleaving on intel?
          Of all the tests run, only 2~3 had any benefit at all from numa interleaving on EPYC. Intel results didn't benefit from numa interleave.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Not bad. And please keep in mind that as much as we love Ryzen (or don't), the server business is where the real money is.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Of all the tests run, only 2~3 had any benefit at all from numa interleaving on EPYC. Intel results didn't benefit from numa interleave.
              Yes, this shows the sad state of applications today. And NUMA is with us for more than 20 years now. Sigh ...
              Yes, one can't benefit from interleaving, one can only make everything run slower but with more uniform performance. This setting is also in all bioses I've seen so far; if there wasn't a change in performance on intel side, I would suspect that interleaving was already set in bios.
              Anyway I'm getting my batch of golden xeons in a month or two and then I'll be able to check exactly what's going on.

Comment

Can someone tell a European where to buy the CPU for this price?

Comment

Originally posted by anolting View Post
                  Can someone tell a European where to buy the CPU for this price?
                  Tyan may be able to offer some insight about European Epyc availability.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hey Michael , does this board from Tyan support 2 Epyc? Do you plan any 2x Epyc test vs the 2x Xeon Gold?

The strongest Epyc trade blows with the 2x Xeon Gold, it would be interesting to see how far can it go coupled with another epyc

Comment

Working...
                    X