Clear Linux Squeezes More Performance Out Of Intel's Core i9 7960X, 7980XE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Squeezes More Performance Out Of Intel's Core i9 7960X, 7980XE

Phoronix: Clear Linux Squeezes More Performance Out Of Intel's Core i9 7960X, 7980XE

Earlier this week we published our launch-day benchmarks of the Core i9 7960X and Core i9 7980XE. Those Linux benchmarks were done with Ubuntu, but for those wondering what the maximum performance looks like for these high-end desktop processors, here are some comparison results with Intel's own Clear Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does PTS compile the tested applications itself, or does it install the packages from the distribution it's running on?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
      Does PTS compile the tested applications itself, or does it install the packages from the distribution it's running on?
      In all the tests you are looking at, PTS builds each one individually in a fully-standard/generic way.

Aside from like the Steam Linux gaming tests or other closed-source tests, the only times PTS relies upon system packages for benchmarks is if it's a "system/" named like system/darktable or system/darktable.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Some of those Ubuntu Threadripper results are awful. Is that because of Ubuntu using an older kernel that doesn't understand the CCX NUMA memory and cache configuration?

Ah, and I also see ClearLinux puts the speed scaler into performance and Ubuntu uses ondemand.

From the research I've done, you want your Ryzen always set to the highest speed bin. That enables XFR management on-chip and it'll handle its own speed.
        Last edited by Zan Lynx; 28 September 2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

The Blender result seems way off: My 1800x CPU-renders the BMW27 scene in 04:41 (281 seconds), I'd expect any of the tested CPUs to do much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            The Blender result seems way off: My 1800x CPU-renders the BMW27 scene in 04:41 (281 seconds), I'd expect any of the tested CPUs to do much better than that.
            The Blender results are very weird since while Blender doesn't scale perfectly with core count it does generally scale much better than what Phoronix shows. There may also be render settings like the number of samples to use that are different in Phoronix's test compared to a vanilla test.

One easy way to diagnose the issue would be to look at CPU utilization during the rendering process. If only a few cores are being used heavily it could point to a configuration problem.

Comment

I used the standard Blender offered by Gentoo and the bmw27_cpu file, changed no settings in blender, just ran it. it does max out all 16 cores though, and the result is always the same.

Comment

Nitpicking but I feel this is a bit wrong "Clear Linux Squeezes More Performance Out Of Intel's Core i9 7960X, 7980XE"

Software can't squeeze more performance out of a processor - this means altering it. What software can do is run more efficiently

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  Nitpicking but I feel this is a bit wrong "Clear Linux Squeezes More Performance Out Of Intel's Core i9 7960X, 7980XE"

Software can't squeeze more performance out of a processor - this means altering it. What software can do is run more efficiently
                  I’m not so sure about your point. “Squeezing” refers to getting everything out of it that is (already) in it. Not to altering it in order to produce even more. So to me, it seems to fit.

Comment

Clear Linux tunes the compiler with all sorts of legal (and sometimes not so legal) optimizations to squeeze more performance of the software running on the hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X