Intel Core i9 7980XE Linux Benchmarks: 18 Core / 36 Threads For $1999 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    This just indicates to me that Intel was was holding back technology for a while. Lets face it, AMD is -extremely- late with threadripper, so the fact that Intel had no problems releasing a product like this in this amount of time indicates they could have done it a while ago.
    Yup, it's called competition. Why release new product when you milk your stale old existing product line for a bit longer? intel has been a leech on our wallets for too many years. It's good to see AMD back in the game with seriously competitive products.

Comment

Can you please include timed linux compilation vs threadripper next time? Thanks
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        A comparison against Epyc would have been interesting too, as $2000 is in Epyc's price range (e.g. 7551P for $2100 list price).
        Agree, an equal-priced part would be a very interesting comparison.

Comment

Those questionable benches aside, focusing on software people who would buy this processor use, it is about 10% faster than TR while 100% more expensive. That alone makes it 90% meh. Add in the inexcusable lack of ECC support and the understated TDP, and the fact you'll be sending your money to one of the most progress-impeding legally proven to be anti-competitive company on the planet, resulting in exactly 0% eagerness to make such a purchase. Not when amd has products that are competitive in performance and come at half the price, with better features.

On the other hand, really excited about intel's brave new DUAL core HEDT product, which also makes me hopeful we might get the much needed addition that would be the SINGLE core HEDT in intel's amazing lineup.

Comment

You could buy 2x EPYC 7281's for $1300 giving you 32 cores (64 threads) with full ECC support.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
              Those questionable benches aside, focusing on software people who would buy this processor use, it is about 10% faster than TR while 100% more expensive. That alone makes it 90% meh.
              I think that makes it 45 % meh.

Comment

To be fair, while it is expensive, its a 428mm^2 die size. Who knows what their wields are. All of a sudden, that "glue" AMD uses seems a lot more attractive.

The price for this chip is in line with the die size.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Anyway, something seems off about these, specifically, the 7960X. The 7980XE is roughly where I expected it would be, but the 7960X seems waaay too fast, relative to the 7980XE and the 1900X.

As for the 1950X, was that with NUMA on or off? I recall that making a substantial performance difference in Linux and may explain why it too seems so weirdly behind the 7960X.
                  Nothing is off really, it goes higher with turbo frequency with more cores (and have higher base clock), that's why it is faster in those workloads. In case you have application that uses all cores, 7960X would be significantly behind, with quite low 2.8 and 2.6 GHz, I suspect in properly threaded applications, even with Intel's better IPC, both CPU's would trail behind TR 1950X (as we can see in some tests).

Comment

I felt like some graphs are missing something, and some other graphs are totally missing, and suddenly I feel Phoronix doesn't need users subscription anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                      I felt like some graphs are missing something, and some other graphs are totally missing, and suddenly I feel Phoronix doesn't need users subscription anymore.
                      Huh??
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X