Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opteron vs. EPYC Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Watt: How AMD Server Performance Evolved Over 10 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    No, I'm not forgetting that. But AMD has had pretty much the same architecture ever since, so newer models may be twice as fast as that and still nowhere near Epyc. Fwiw, Intel is on the Core architecture for 10 years as well.
    It sounds like you're getting the models confused. The Opterons in this benchmark are K10's which were performance competitive with Xeon in their day. After the K10's came a completely new architecture - the Bulldozer architecture (fam 15h) which used the much maligned CMT cores. Bulldozer remained essentially the same for three generations, and was never truly competitive with Xeon.

Again, the K10 Opterons used in this article are a completely different architecture from the more recent Bulldozer models, and the very newest Zen is another completely different architecture.

Holy crap I didn't know Opterons sucked that hard. No wonder AMD wasn't making any money at all.
    ^ This is like comparing Threadripper with a Core 2 Duo, and saying "Holy crap I didn't know Core 2 Duo sucked that hard. No wonder intel wasn't making any money at all."
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 09-18-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Aha! So there's the confusion, I was under the impression these were first-gen Bulldozers. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground0 View Post
        ... Why only 2 2300 Series CPU no 6100/6200/6300 ? ...
        ... or Opteron 4100/4200/4300 Series?
        Last edited by drSeehas; 09-27-2017, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post
          ... excavator-based Opterons, ...
          There are no excavator-based Opterons. The last ones before Zen are Piledriver-based (2012).

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
            ... if only I had something more powerful to replace it. Although it's 3380, a "consumer" Opteron.
            What about a FX-8300?
            https://geizhals.eu/amd-fx-8300-fd83...-a1156019.html
            from Euro 84.54 VAT included.

Comment

... AMD has had pretty much the same architecture ever since, ...
              No!
              There are all the missing Bulldozer-based between the Opteron 2XXX and Epyc.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                What about a FX-8300?
                https://geizhals.eu/amd-fx-8300-fd83...-a1156019.html
                from Euro 84.54 VAT included.
                I don't know if it's worth it... +30W to TDP... It's on an edge.
                http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPU...OS3380OLW8KHK/
                The FX-8350 on my desktop runs quite hot. From that experience I'd want to keep TDPs under 100W, which FX-8300 is barely.
                Fans would propably get quite loud at full load. I'll consider. Thanks.

Comment

I don't know if it's worth it... +30W to TDP... It's on an edge.
                  +700 MHz Base clock, +600 MHz Turbo clock, for me it would be worth it.

... The FX-8350 on my desktop runs quite hot.
                  The FX-8350 has a TDP of 125 W. Another +30 W.

From that experience I'd want to keep TDPs under 100W, which FX-8300 is barely.
                  95 W is under 100 W.

Fans would propably get quite loud at full load. I'll consider. Thanks.
                  It depends on the cooler. I am using a Noctua NH-C14S and I can't hear it even at full load.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                    It depends on the cooler. I am using a Noctua NH-C14S and I can't hear it even at full load.
                    Well.. My server is in 4U rack case. That in turn is in a rack cabinet with a windowed door. There's no space for anything big, so I must keep the temps down as I want it to be quiet. I like I said 95W is quite high. But I could buy one (used maybe) and test out if I can keep it quiet.

Comment

Well.. My server is in 4U rack case. That in turn is in a rack cabinet with a windowed door.
                      Racks have a lot of very loud fans.

There's no space for anything big, so I must keep the temps down as I want it to be quiet. ...
                      4U is 7" or 178 mm.
                      The height (with fan installed underneath the fins) of the Noctua cooler is 115 mm.
                      http://noctua.at/en/nh-c14s/specification
                      I doubt you will have space problems.

Even if you have space problems, there are enough other quiet coolers up to 80 mm:
                      https://geizhals.eu/?cat=cpucooler&x...2FFM2%2FFM2%2B

So no excuse to not send Michael your CPU.
                      Last edited by drSeehas; 09-30-2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X