Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Intel Core X-Series CPUs Cool With Noctua Air Cooling

Phoronix: Keeping Intel Core X-Series CPUs Cool With Noctua Air Cooling

With the ten-core / 20-thread Core i9 7900X CPU having a 140 Watt TDP, it's a lot to keep cool with air cooling. Even more, with the soon-to-launch new Core i9 models, you really need a beefy heatsink fan if wishing to avoid water cooling. In this article are some tests with different Noctua heatsinks. Besides being able to cool these 2017X processors, the other requirement too is that they fit within 4U space requirements. The heatsinks benchmarked today included the Noctua NH-C14S, NH-U9S, Noctua NH-D9L, NF-A9 PWM fan, and NF-A14 PWM fan.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems Noctua has been doing a very good job with its cooling products for about as long as I've been using computers.

Comment

They also make some variant for ThreadRipper and that's a very good news (well, in fact I can't imagine a ThreadRipper cooled by something else than a Noctua ).

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
        They also make some variant for ThreadRipper and that's a very good news (well, in fact I can't imagine a ThreadRipper cooled by something else than a Noctua ).
        I bought their TR cooler (didn't request it as a review sample due to lack of Linux CPU temperature reporting support at the time) and will share my thoughts in a few days,
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Your temperature axis is a bit weird, so it's somewhat hard to read them. But it looks like they are all fairly close to each other. For me, the deciding factor would be noise levels under load, so are you able to share your observations on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I bought their TR cooler (didn't request it as a review sample due to lack of Linux CPU temperature reporting support at the time) and will share my thoughts in a few days,
            Looking forward to this! I have a NH-U14S TR4-SP3 here for my TR running on full load (ffmeg) since a week. The Noctua fan isn't exactly silent for a desktop machine, but it's keeping the CPU at around 60 deg c, with few short spikes towards 77.

Comment

Noctua coolers are a cruel joke. They are the only CPU heatsink I've ever seen that uses something other than aluminum or copper: nickel. Why do they do that? They told me "because nickel is pretty." Nickel. Nickel generally isn't used because it is 4x less heat conductive than copper and half that of aluminum.

I don't mean to complain, but I've been using computers since 1974 and building them since 1982. I've used a lot of heat-sinks over the years, but I've never been more disatisfied with any product as over-hyped as Noctua's. Their build quality is so poor I'm surprised they can claim any firm TDP dissipation figures at all. There is upwards of a 2mm air-gap between the pad that contacts the CPU heat-spreader and the "heat pipes."

I had nothing but cooling problems with Noctua and my 7700K until I moved off of them and onto liquid cooling and I wasn't even over-clocking. Oh, sure, the packaging is nice and you get a sticker. For me, I'll never waste my money on their products with those ugly beige & burnt-orange fans again.

Comment

I'll never use another Noctua cooling product after my experience with one of their flag-ship air-coolers. It was a cruel joke.

They coat their coolers in nickel. Why? They told me because "nickel is pretty." Every other cooler I've ever used has been made of copper or aluminum. Cooper conducts heat 4x better than nickel and aluminum is twice as good. Plus, with upwards of a 2mm air-gap between the nickel pad contacting the CPU heat-spreader and the "heat-pipes" I'm surprised they can claim any firm TDP dissipation whatsoever.

I put liquid cooling on my 7700K and high 90' spikes came down by 20'. I'll never used one of their products with those beige & burnt-orange colored fans again.

Comment

Personally I use NH-D9L in all my 3U servers. Love them. Very quiet and WAY more efficient than anything else I've tried.
                  Rob
                  email: [email protected]

Comment

It's awesome Michael that you're getting hardware samples for non nix-related stuff! Congratulations!

As for brain3z , now that's interesting, ever since I got my i7, I've had horrible temperature and even the stock turbo mode is too much... and all that on a noctua fan!

Comment

Working...
                    X