Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Benchmarks Of The AMD EPYC 7601 On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Initial Benchmarks Of The AMD EPYC 7601 On Ubuntu Linux

Last week we received the AMD EPYC 7601 32 core / 64 thread processor for testing at Phoronix with the Tyan Transport SX TN70A-B8026 2U server. Since then I've had the pleasure of putting this Zen workstation/server processor through its paces. I am still early in the testing process with many more interesting benchmarks to come, but today are some initial numbers of the AMD EPYC 7601 compared to various Intel Xeon CPUs while running Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What? Why is x264 slower now? (the Xeon Gold hit like 429 previously)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      What? Why is x264 slower now? (the Xeon Gold hit like 429 previously)
      The x264 test profile was recently updated against a newer snapshot, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The x264 test profile was recently updated against a newer snapshot, etc.
        OK. I'll make sure to never update my encoder. Thank you for the test anyways!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

OK. I'll make sure to never update my encoder. Thank you for the test anyways!
          x264 also has avx512 support. looks like it needs some tuning still.

Comment

Yowsa this AMD Epyc is an intel killer! Dual socket Xeon Gold can't keep up with a single Epyc in most tests. Imagine what a dual socket Epyc can do... At this rate, we'll surely be seeing Epyc appear on the top500 supercomputer list in the coming years. AMD share price $25 this time next year?

Comment

Damn, I was not expecting this. AMD's 64 threads often outperforming 80 of Intel's. Epyc may have a higher base clock, but the Xeons have a higher turbo. Since there are 2x Xeons, they have a greater opportunity of reaching the higher turbo speeds. As long as your server workload doesn't depend on AVX, seems like Epyc is the clear choice. Meanwhile, you get all the additional PCIe lanes, probably less wattage, for a substantial price decrease.

I sure hope to see AMD get some hefty income from the enterprise market, to help drive future technologies.

Comment

Sold... AMD just make the stuff available and let me have my 2 EPYCs

Comment

Interesting review. Could you also turn on the NUMA interleaving policy for the Xeon system? It only requires 2 NUMA nodes due to Intel's superior architecture but I'd be interested to see if it has any effect.

Comment

DAAAAAAMMMMM intel got kicked in the nuts this round, we just need now for AMD to produce those babies in enough quantities to be actual to buy them.

Comment

Working...
                    X