AGESA 1.0.0.6b Might Fix The Ryzen Linux Performance Marginality Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGESA 1.0.0.6b Might Fix The Ryzen Linux Performance Marginality Problem

Phoronix: AGESA 1.0.0.6b Might Fix The Ryzen Linux Performance Marginality Problem

Motherboard vendors have begun pushing out BIOS updates for Ryzen motherboards using the AMD AGESA 1.0.0.6b revision and it's reported that it does resolve the "Performance Marginality Problem" affecting early Ryzen Linxu customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AGESA 1.0.0.6b Might Fix The Ryzen Linux Performance Marginality Problem

Motherboard vendors have begun pushing out BIOS updates for Ryzen motherboards using the AMD AGESA 1.0.0.6b revision and it's reported that it does resolve the "Performance Marginality Problem" affecting early Ryzen Linxu customers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....0.0.6b-Update

Comment

It didn't fix it for me, on an ASRock X370 Killer SLI... Even after cranking up the Vcore and SoC voltage like AMD tech support asked me to. Tech support asked me to crank Vcore up to 1.42V (seriously?), but I stopped at 1.375V since the CPU was already running 15 degrees hotter, and BIOS was giving red warning text if I went any higher. Hopefully the RMA gets approved and the replacement CPU resolves the issue... I wasn't very appreciative of the "debugging" steps that AMD tech support made me go through, considering that this is a known problem.
      Last edited by plasmasnake; 13 September 2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
        I wasn't very appreciative of the "debugging" steps that AMD tech support made me go through, considering that this is a known problem.
        *Might* be a known problem - but they always want to go through the steps, because it might be something else entirely.

Certainly, when this problem was first reported, the bug reports were very confused, because anyone who ever saw a segfault on a Ryzen machine was chiming in, making it harder for the AMD guys to figure out which reports were real, and which ones were people with bad software or flaky memory...

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
          It didn't fix it for me, on an ASRock X370 Killer SLI... Even after cranking up the Vcore and SoC voltage like AMD tech support asked me to. Tech support asked me to crank Vcore up to 1.42V (seriously?), but I stopped at 1.375V since the CPU was already running 15 degrees hotter, and BIOS was giving red warning text if I went any higher. Hopefully the RMA gets approved and the replacement CPU resolves the issue... I wasn't very appreciative of the "debugging" steps that AMD tech support made me go through, considering that this is a known problem.
          You got a reply at all. I've just been stonewalled. I finally submitted another request tonight. This is some real bullshit.

Comment

When I did submit my initial support request, I told them I did get the issue on stock with all auto then I added my overclock settings (3.9Ghz, 1.39V, 1.15VSoc, 1.44V Ram) And I included system pictures in the email and then, they give me a link for the rma request. It took two week because of the response delay but it was simple enough.

Note that I got a temporary Ryzen R3 so I don't run out of computer while I sent my Ryzen R7 and the R3 is a 1725SUS and accept my 3200 memory right with XMP at 1.35V while the R7 1706PGT accept only the RAM at 3200 with manual settings and.. 1.44V.

Comment

This was reported as fixed under my bios update for the gigabyte k7. Maybe it was just hopeful by amd that they wouldn't need to RMA all those cpu?

Comment

Well, it doesn't fix it. I had it with 1.0.0.6b. AMD sent me a new CPU, which doesn't have the issue.

Comment

Update: I have tried the new BIOS. I am still getting segfaults. It didn't even change the time at which it happened for me. I have the ASUS Prime X370-PRO with the new 0812 BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                    Update: I have tried the new BIOS. I am still getting segfaults. It didn't even change the time at which it happened for me. I have the ASUS Prime X370-PRO with the new 0812 BIOS.
                    That bios doesn't have the agesa 1.0.0.6b according to reddit.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X