8-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On A Dual Xeon Scalable Gold Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

we actually provide all three, although we had reports of crashes on boot with AMD graphics (kernel crash) so we temporarily had to disable the KMS driver.

in terms of working on every platform; our CPU baseline is "westmere", e.g. 2010 era (sse4.x). Pretty much any modern-ish CPU should support that baseline
    So my Xeon X5650 would work great, but my 5870 would not? My machine is a 2010 Rampage III (Intel x58) water cooled and running at 4Ghz super stable for the last 5 years or so. I do not use any SATA drives (Have not for a long time) so all SATA ports are disabled as well. I boot KDE neon with Xanmod kernel and the latest MESA drivers for the 5870 graphics card. Runs fantastic. The ONLY storage drive I have connected to this Intel system is a Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Pro using the famous Clover UEFI Bootloader. My board does not support NVMe so people who boot using NVMe drives must use UEFI bootloaders such as Intel's old DUET or Clover (which is based on DUET), again this setup actually works fantastic. 6 westmere cores at 4Ghz and Linux on NVMe is just amazing. Wish I could afford a better video card though.

Comment

Originally posted by SkOrPn View Post

So my Xeon X5650 would work great, but my 5870 would not? My machine is a 2010 Rampage III (Intel x58) water cooled and running at 4Ghz super stable for the last 5 years or so. I do not use any SATA drives (Have not for a long time) so all SATA ports are disabled as well. I boot KDE neon with Xanmod kernel and the latest MESA drivers for the 5870 graphics card. Runs fantastic. The ONLY storage drive I have connected to this Intel system is a Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Pro using the famous Clover UEFI Bootloader. My board does not support NVMe so people who boot using NVMe drives must use UEFI bootloaders such as Intel's old DUET or Clover (which is based on DUET), again this setup actually works fantastic. 6 westmere cores at 4Ghz and Linux on NVMe is just amazing. Wish I could afford a better video card though.
      pretty much; we haven't had time to figure out the reason behind the boot crashes, and the behavior of crash-on-boot is very nasty in terms of usability.
      Hopefully we'll figure it out soon but we're not patching the kernel stuff at all so it's just puzzling

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
        pretty much; we haven't had time to figure out the reason behind the boot crashes, and the behavior of crash-on-boot is very nasty in terms of usability.
        Hopefully we'll figure it out soon but we're not patching the kernel stuff at all so it's just puzzling
        Isn't it still possible to narrow down Boot crashes using a Utility such as those shown on: http://elinux.org/Boot_Time or to compile the Kernel normally and then create another Debug Kernel and use ARCH=um running that under the Debugger?

Comment

Working...
        X