Already Sold ... ordering one...

So here are the parts I have decided to order:

1. PSU --> EVGA SuperNOVA T2 80 Plus Titanium Netzteil 1000 Watt
    2. Motherboard --> ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME
    3. CPU --> AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Socket TR4
    4. Cpu cooler --> Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
    5. RAM --> G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16 (4x8GB) 32GTZSW
    6. Graphic Card --> ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080Ti AMP! Extreme 11GB
    7. Hard Disk --> Samsung SSD 960 Pro M.2 512GB x2 ( RAID)

Any suggestions?
    Throw away that ZOTAC (apparently questionable VRM design) and take ASUS Strix or EVGA FTW3. Also I'd trust Corsair for PSU more. And as everyone said, you don't need 1kWatt.
    Also what do you need it for? For gaming it's way overkill. For more reliable workflows, ECC memory wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by reavertm; 28 August 2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post

Any suggestions?
      Asus explicitly only list windows as supported for that motherboard. So if you run linux and have bios issues ( not that unlikely for a brand new product ) and report them to asus all you will get back is a reply that your operating system isn't supported. Asus do support linux on some of their high end workstation boards but not on their gamer boards. I have personally had this issues on two occasions with asus, first time iommu implementation issues second time on board sound issues. After reading up on the virtio mailinglist i got the impression i am not the only one getting this treatment from asus. This might or might not be of relevance to you. I would say if you plan to make use of more workstation related features such as iommu, virtualization and so on you should be aware of the possibility of getting a broken bios, and a vendor that dont see it as a priority to fix it. In that case should pick another motherboard from a more linux friendly vendor, say AsRock.

Then, the obvious oss zealot remark. The chance of getting a working full speed oss driver for nvidia cards is about as likely as Trump and Kim Jong-Un becoming best buddies. With such new hardware you will want to run pretty bleeding edge software and then the binary only drivers will give you a headache, heck they give a headache for everyone. A solution here might be to just buy a cheap extra gpu with good oss support. That way you can boot into wintendo to game or boot a gaming tailored linux setup, and then still be able to run bleeding edge software to get a good linux graphics experience.

just my two öre.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post

Any suggestions?
        Asus do not list linux as a supported os for that motherboard. They basicly only support linux on a few of their workstation targeted motherboards. This have bitten me tvice in the past, once with broken iommu implementation in bios, the second time a bios issue that made on board sound unusable in linux. Both times i just got the same reply from asus, your operating system isnt supported, end of story. With a new platform like Threadripper you are bound to have a bunch of bios issues. After reading up on the virtio mailinglist i dont seem to be alone in my opinion about asus and linux support.

This might or might not be an issue for you, if you intend to make use of the more workstation/server like features of the Threadripper platform ( iommu, virtualization and so on ) i would recommend going with a manufacturer that has a history of providing decent linux support. Lets say AsRock or MSI.

Then comes the mandatory oss zealot comment. The choice of graphics card is problematic. Getting fast and full oss driver support for nvidia GTX 1080Ti is about as likely as Trump and Kim Jong-Un becomming best buddies and devoting the remainder of their lives to bring global peace to earth. With a new platform such as Threadripper you most likely want to run bleeding edge kernel/libraries to get the latest bugfixes and performance tweaks. This will be much harder if you have to rely on the nvidia binary only driver. If you still want the 1080Ti for gaming i might suggest that you get a second graphics card with good OSS support. This will give you the posibility to run wintendo or an older linux distro with binar driver support for gaming, and then be able to easily switch to a bleeding edge setup for stability and max cpu performance. If you intend to do any virtualization it will be nice to be ablet to use one of the GPUS for a guest.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
          Then it is onward to the 7nm-10nm and that will be very interesting to see AMD and Intel battle there.
          That will indeed be interesting GF 7nm looks good on paper.

But it's not around the corner yet so we will have to wait and use current CPU and GPU until then.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

Throw away that ZOTAC (apparently questionable VRM design) and take ASUS Strix or EVGA FTW3. Also I'd trust Corsair for PSU more. And as everyone said, you don't need 1kWatt.
            Also what do you need it for? For gaming it's way overkill. For more reliable workflows, ECC memory wouldn't hurt.
            If you're not into extreme overclocking, an EVGA SC can save you some $$$. They're mostly reference design, but still offer some of the best overclocks out of the box. And if you're going Nvidia, the default overclocks matter even less, since the card will still boost as high as the TDP allows (my 1060 is constantly a hair below 2GHz, yet the box says 1607/1835 - base/boost).

Comment

bigletter No manufacturer supports Linux officially, they will all send you packing when asking for support. Asus is simply a bit more upfront about it. That said, I've found AsRock to offer a little more bang for the buck, but ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by aicom View Post

I'm wondering whether the NUMA vs. UMA setting for ThreadRipper makes a (big) difference there. AnandTech tested AMD's recommended modes (both dies+UMA=Creator mode and one die+NUMA=Gaming mode) but neither is the "optimal" mode like how EPYC would run (NUMA+all dies). I've yet to see any site bench ThreadRipper in this way.

In Gaming mode, you're starved for cores since an entire die is disabled. In Creator mode, the memory latency is significantly higher because the OS is unaware of the 2 separate memory controllers. Both modes have significant performance problems with compilation (since compilation is embarassingly parallel at the process level and prefetching compilation memory fetches is really hard).

Michael, any chance you could run at least a Linux compilation benchmark with your "Memory Access Mode" set to "Local"?
                You can use the numactl utility to pin the memory on only one (NUMA)domain, or set a interleaving policy

Comment

Originally posted by defaultUser View Post

You can use the numactl utility to pin the memory on only one (NUMA)domain, or set a interleaving policy
                  My motherboard with latest BIOS doesn't yet allow these options, had already discussed with an AMD rep. When that mode toggle is there in the BIOS, will try it out,
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Right... AFAIK there is logic in the CPU itself which can either implement a NUMA-style model (where "locally connected" RAM is in one address range and "on the other die" RAM is in a separate range), or implement a model where accesses are striped across the two memory sets.

The default seems to be the striped option since that does not rely on NUMA support in the OS for best performance, but it can be changed by BIOS setting or by the (currently Windows-only) Ryzen Master utility. Unfortunately the Gigabyte mobo does not yet include that option in its BIOS settings.

If the default was NUMA (ie if Windows did not exist) then I believe numactl could be used to interleave the banks, but I don't think numactl is sufficiently fine-grained to "de-interleave" the HW default.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 28 August 2017, 10:48 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

I am really curious how well some of these AMD chips fare on a ClearLinux system.

Comment

Working...
                      X