No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Rolls Out Jetson TX1 Developer Board SE At $199 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What part of " Developer Board " was unclear exactly? Why is everyone treating it as "a more powerful Raspberry Pi" ?

It's not, get the facts straight, this is a "dev board", it's purpose is pretty clear, you "as a dev" use it, make a "thing" (and find bugs, ask nVidia to fix them, etc), have someone wiling to pay some $$$ for your wires-out-prototype and they you contact nVidia back and order 1000 more for your "product". Isn't that like "standard practice" in the industry since forever?

The Raspberry Pi's success spoiled this, it went from "dev only" to "everyone", and it's great, don't get me wrong, more devs are needed, but buying a board to install XMBC and call it a great success is pretty far from any "dev-ing". :-|
    Last edited by Licaon; 26 August 2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Is it a standard form factor, like micro-ATX or mini-ITX?

At one time, I might've been interested, but I got this:

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6 GHz)Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

Better CPU by a mile, but the GPU is maybe half as fast. 10W either way. Best of all, use mainstream distro & drivers.

People think just because this thing is Nvidia that the GPU is something special. Honestly, it doesn't even compare to any of their discrete desktop models. It's only good within its power budget - not in absolute terms.

BTW, their Tegra SoC's do not support any version of OpenCL.
      Last edited by coder; 26 August 2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

in 2008 my company (https://ExactCODE.com) contacted Nvidia for Linux embedded, and Linux phone project and such at the time, we got a one line reply:

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:57:03 -0700

How is your Windows CE experience? We are not supporting Linux on Tegra.
        I'd bet the situation is now changed by 180 degrees. A lot can change in 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by phoron View Post
          I'm not saying this is terrible, maybe it is less terrrible than some other options (like DRMed remote controlled hardware, devices with infringing SDKs, proprietary GPUS, more blobby , etc.). But it's sad that the market is so crippled. And I bet they could do better if they tried.
          Well, this is a devboard. A true devboard for companies, not a consumer tinker toy like raspi and friends.

Consider that to get any true devboard you would have to pay thousands of bucks and sign an NDA, they lowered the bar significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            The price is good now? Let me think, six Raspberry Pi 3s (24 cores for distcc) or one of these, hmmm...
            distcc needs fast networking - not the Pi's pathetic 10/100 - and benefits linearly from faster cores. Also, vastly better storage I/O if you're also proposing to use one as these as the host. Plus, if you're developing, then often the code/compile/test cycle hinges on the speed of compiling small numbers of files.

So, unless you're sitting around compiling very large codebases, I think your money would be better spent on fewer, faster cores.

Comment

They might sell the TX1 for $579, but the TX2 is $599. Sounds like they are trying to sell old stock.

BTW, the "JetPack" SDK fully is supported on Ubuntu. If you're buying this, it's for the SDK.

Comment

That's some pretty exciting news. I see these ARM dev boards as a way to see how well desktop Linux could be run as ARM PCs. This actually made me look up how much a Snapdragon board would cost. Apparently, they cost around $260 for a Snapdragon 820 based solution: https://eragon.einfochips.com/produc...-q820-200.html

The reason I bring up Snapdragon was this article that shows how Qualcomm updated the kernel driver of Freedreno to support the 820/821 while Rob Clark worked on the Mesa driver. (And that was almost a year ago.) However, if that doesn't work; there is always Halium 7.1: https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blo...-update-q-a-55

Comment

If you want it for development, it is just cheaper and better packaged in Nvidia Shield TV(2015 or 2017, maybe even refurbished)...
                  Here is how you can deploy a Qt app on it: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/02/24/bu...vulkan-teaser/

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    I'd bet the situation is now changed by 180 degrees. A lot can change in 9 years.
                    yes, _CAN_ but unfortunately not at nvidia. where are the register level specs? the brave nouveau folks need to reverse everything, heck they at times even need to wait for "signed" firmware a year or longer.
                    and nvidia can not even release as boring as register specs for re-clocking and power managements?

companies that do not release register level specs for their chips do not deserve to be supported, nor trusted.

PS: If there are vendors that openly support Linux including proper hw specs (AMD, Intel) then we should use and support those, and not the vendors who try to do closed source Windows drivers junk to Linux, ..! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIVqCFLv5Y
                    Last edited by rene; 27 August 2017, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                      If you want it for development, it is just cheaper and better packaged in Nvidia Shield TV(2015 or 2017, maybe even refurbished)...
                      Here is how you can deploy a Qt app on it: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/02/24/bu...vulkan-teaser/
                      > MinGW toolchain is easily obtainable by installing the official 32-bit MinGW package … set PATH=c:\android\tools;c:\android\platform-tools;
                      c:\android\android-ndk-r13b;c:\android\qtbase\bin;

Linux development on Windows? Err, thanks but no thanks!
                      Why the heck would anyone would endure the pain of Windows, were basically everything and the command line stinks so much that Microsoft did this Bash on Windows Linux ABI thing, to develop for a (kinda) Linux target???

Comment

Working...
                      X