Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Level 1 Techs on YouTube (Wendel) did a few videos regarding GPU pass through support on ryzen and how to get it working.

Leave a comment:

• CuriousTommy
    replied
    Originally posted by asdfblah View Post

I wonder... Is this really a CPU bug? Doesn't it only affect KVM, while Xen, VirtualBox, ... work just fine? If so, how come the KVM people haven't taken the issue seriously?
    It definitely isn't a CPU bug. I am kind of surprised that no one is currently doing any patches to fix this problem, especially since Threadripper is now a thing. At least there is an alternative, like Xen, if you want to do GPU passthrough.

The PCI bug, however, is something that I hope gets fixed asap.

Leave a comment:

• Cooe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom B View Post
    I have the components for a 1950X build arriving this week. When can we expect to be able to get temperature readings for this CPU? With such a high TDP and so many cores, temperatures could be an issue, being able to monitor temps is fairly important for a desktop
    Just so that you're aware before hand, Threadripper has a +27°C temp offset (similar to the +20°C offset on the 1700X/1800X) on what the temp sensors report vs the actual temps for fan curve reasons. A ton of reviewers missed this and ended up reporting inaccurate temps that inc. that offset and therefore were much higher than in reality. With a decent 240mm+ Asetek AIO with thermal paste covering the entire water-block (not just the center like with the pre-applied paste) you should be seeing actual load temps no higher than the mid-high 60°'s with stock settings. And the mid-high 70°'s with a moderate OC. Toasty, sure, but not unreasonable at all considering the sheer amounts of CPU power being pushed.

Leave a comment:

• Tom B
    replied
    I have the components for a 1950X build arriving this week. When can we expect to be able to get temperature readings for this CPU? With such a high TDP and so many cores, temperatures could be an issue, being able to monitor temps is fairly important for a desktop

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by satai View Post
    Yes, they are. Have a look at support pages of the vendors.
    Do you have any links?
    I can only find e.g. "Supports ECC UDIMM memory", which is true for every mainboard, as every mainboard supports ECC memory, but only in non-ECC mode :-(

Leave a comment:

• satai
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Are there any Socket TR4 mainboards with working ECC? I can see only gaming mainboards.
    Yes, they are. Have a look at support pages of the vendors.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by satai View Post
    ... because of the ECC (sadly unregistered only AFAIK) support.
    Are there any Socket TR4 mainboards with working ECC? I can see only gaming mainboards.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Why in the hell are you benchmarking against dual Intel Xeon Gold 6138 Tyan Server?

40 Cores/80 Threads vs 16/32 and the best part, when EPYC arrives for Server v. Server you better test against the Tyan or people will find your `objectivity' skewed.

The EPYC will win out and anyone still buying Intel hardware will look like fools.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Gamer benchmarks on server chips have just as much value as NAS benchmarks on desktop chips.

You don't focus on the method, you focus on what drives the result. If Crysis makes a large use of some function that requires the CPU supply "X", then the bench has merit.

Likewise when running specialized function tests (ie: NAS) on a desktop CPU, it can expose how well a particular function behaves.

Also, one can validate across benchmarks on certain behaviors the CPU provides. Why does one bench show well on this CPU and bad on another when they seem the same?

Gamer benchmarks have exposed more issues in datacenter oriented hardware than I ever imagined.

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
    Michael, do you plan to look into the KVM NPT that affects all AMD CPUs?

Also, are you going to look into the PCI bug that affects GPUs on threadripper.
    I wonder... Is this really a CPU bug? Doesn't it only affect KVM, while Xen, VirtualBox, ... work just fine? If so, how come the KVM people haven't taken the issue seriously?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X