No announcement yet.

New Ryzen Is Running Solid Under Linux, No Compiler Segmentation Fault Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ryzen Is Running Solid Under Linux, No Compiler Segmentation Fault Issue

Phoronix: New Ryzen Is Running Solid Under Linux, No Compiler Segmentation Fault Issue

As a quick update to the AMD Linux "Performance Marginality Problem" affecting some early Ryzen processors under heavy load, today I received a new Ryzen 7 processor and indeed it's been running strong now for the past few hours under demanding load and has yet to hit the compiler segumentation fault bug.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So does this mean that it takes a silicon fix to get around the bug or will it be possible to fix via microcode?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      So does this mean that it takes a silicon fix to get around the bug or will it be possible to fix via microcode?
      I haven't been told anything from AMD about the possibility of a microcode fix. If affected by the issue they recommend contacting AMD Customer Care, which at least for now sounds like an RMA.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For those us of who haven't upgraded yet. How do we buy a known good Ryzen from week 30 or newer?

Comment

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
          For those us of who haven't upgraded yet. How do we buy a known good Ryzen from week 30 or newer?
          I don't think there is a way, but if you are running workloads that are affected contact AMD and they will swap your CPU with a fixed one.

EDIT: If you are purchasing it in person you can look at the CPU thought the plastic cover on the side of the box and read the number written on it.
          Last edited by Spazturtle; 24 August 2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            and has yet to hit the compiler segumentation fault bug.

Comment

There is "1705" written under the picture of "1730" so things doesn't line up.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                I doubt that's CPU bug at all, more likely manufacturing problem, it's the same stepping.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  There is "1705" written under the picture of "1730" so things doesn't line up.
                  The other picture is underneath.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

I doubt that's CPU bug at all, more likely manufacturing problem, it's the same stepping.
                    Good observation!

Comment

Working...
                    X