AMD Threadripper Is Looking Good, At Least Under Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightonflux View Post
    Computerbase has benchmarked TR with Linux applications: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/...endungen_linux

It is just an overview of several benchmark put together in one graph. Not very detailed but a good first impression.
    You can click on the dropdown to show the individual results.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I have an 80 thread Intel system coming in a few days I do plan to have fun with LLVMpipe on.
      Just curious, but are you planning on trying out the swr renderer that Intel added to gallium a while back?

Comment

Reading the topic i got a bit worried that it was something not working in linux, but it was only lack of samples to review, let's hope phoronix will get the samples soon.
        Seeing the Ubuntu DC kernel article feels good since yesterday was the day that reviewers should have got RX Vega.
        I also think that we have seen articles lately that is preparing for Vega all marked with something like "It will be interesting to see how the RX Vega does"
        Last edited by Nille_kungen; 10 August 2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Yeah right, make sure not to link those Windows benchmarks. Then this article might get remotely useful.
          The Windows bench result chart is just above the Linux ones at the same link. Indulge yourself and make the article useful.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            With so many threads, I figure at this point some games (older ones, like OpenArena) would end up being playable, at least on low detail settings.
            Just tested that on my old Phenom II X6, and while it's not really playable, I'm genuinely surprised how fast it actually is - 20-30 FPS most of the time in FullHD with only Bloom disabled. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryzen 7 could handle that game.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Leisure Suit Larry does not require a 3D accelerator, neither does Kings Quest 3. Only these newfangled games that millennials play have this requirement. I don't see why anyone needs more than EGA graphics, for gaming anyways.
              If I remember correctly, a lot of the early 3D games did not need a GPU. I think one of the last big titles that could be played entirely on a CPU is Half Life (1998).

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Just tested that on my old Phenom II X6, and while it's not really playable, I'm genuinely surprised how fast it actually is - 20-30 FPS most of the time in FullHD with only Bloom disabled. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryzen 7 could handle that game.
                Hmm, yeah better than I was expecting. I guess Ryzen or TR ought to be put to a more difficult test.

Comment

How is it that AMD always seems to not want to send you samples, then decides to send you samples, but late? I thought they would have learned after Ryzen.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
                    As a reminder, the Ryzen Linux issue doesn't affect Threadipper or Epyc for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                      How is it that AMD always seems to not want to send you samples, then decides to send you samples, but late? I thought they would have learned after Ryzen.
                      Three main reasons AFAIK:

1. Sampling plans are based on the minimum forecasts for kit availability & timing - if the numbers end up better then more sites get samples

2. The Linux engineering folks normally don't get involved in marketing & sampling (other than making sure drivers are ready), but if we hear ithat things are not going well then we try to escalate internally

3. Marketing & PR sometimes have different priorities - Marketing drives initial decisions but PR gets involved closer to launch and may tweak plans
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X