Continuing To Stress Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
    So the newb couldn't reproduce it on an Intel box while others could reproduce it.
    let me fetch more popcorn first, please. And in the meantime, here's a little quiz:

On what OS does the "newb" work?

a) Linux
    b) sdackOS
    c) FreeBSD

Til' later...

Comment

So the newb couldn't reproduce it on an Intel box while others could reproduce it. How long are you going to ignore this? All you do is cry wolf and keep pointing at the hear-say of others. You want to blame AMD for a bug you fail to pin-point in hope they eventually tell you where to find it. Your kind disgusts me.
      Show me one case where the freeBSD bug has been reproduced on Intel hardware. The bug has been pointed out in detail by the FreeBSD developers.

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      This is more nonsense. One developer believes to have found something... This is not the same as saying they have found a bug. If it is a bug within the CPU is only for AMD to say. The one dev might be misreading the specs or has run into a new feature without having the specs to it. He obviously doesn't know what's going on within the new CPU.
      Actually it was a user reporting the bug and multiple FreeBSD devs where able to confirm it. They even wrote a tool that is able to reproduce it every single time on Ryzen but never on other CPUs: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/sh....cgi?id=219399 - Let me give you a mirror: "All you do is cry wolf and keep pointing at the hear-say of others".

Comment

• Originally posted by RyzenNewbie View Post
        why should I look at Intel? ...
        That's a really interesting question, isn't it?

Comment

> Originally posted by chithanh
          > And that this damage happens is totally AMD's fault.
          That's pathetic.
          I know *sniff* AMD could have calmed down everyone since beginning of June, but instead they kept quiet and deleted messages in reddit *sniff*

Comment

• Theory: So in the end it could be an Intel bug that has been circumvented in every compiler and most software out there, because it was build and tested on Intel and if the Ryzen CPU does it "right" and suddenly every compiler out there "fails" because it is implemented with the "wrong" method - we would still blame Ryzen?

(I'm not saying I bet on this - I just want to have people take a step back and try to be objective here)

Comment

• Originally posted by V10lator View Post
              Show me one case where the freeBSD bug has been reproduced on Intel hardware. ...
              No. When you get a new CPU can you not assume it behaves in every aspect like every other CPU. They never do. The BSD dev clearly doesn't know why the CPU in his case behaves the way it does. This can be anything. It can be a bug in the CPU, a bug in the specification, a misinterpretation of the specs, or plain cluelessness.

We don't even seem to have enough specs of the Ryzen CPU to get proper CPU-specific compiler optimization. And yet do we have hundreds of experts on Ryzen bugs all of a sudden, all who claim to know the exact cause of it all. The idiocy hurts.

Comment

• Originally posted by RyzenNewbie View Post
                let me fetch more popcorn first, please.
                Sure, go stuff your face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  sure but right now I am constantly seeing idiots not being able to build their system, hardware wise or OS wise.
                  damn, I am such an idiot to put an ASRock X370 Prime Pro with an 1700 and Samsung 2133 ECC RAM into a Supermicro 3U server chassis with a redundant 700W PSU residing in a climated room and being annoyed by my arbitrary system that additionally spits out MCE messages now and then.

Damn...

Comment

• It is also funny to see that someone may even think that is our job to find out what combination of BIOS + Kernel options can make our systems work. They probably want us to exhaust the search before complaining... Sure those people have too much free time in their hands... But, Ryzennewbie, just ignore the trolls, they don't care about facts, they don't run the tests, they don't do real research. They don't care to search to anything that resembles truth.

Comment

When you get a new CPU can you not assume it behaves in every aspect like every other CPU. They never do.
                      performance-wise, correct. Architectural-wise, wrong. If I calculate "1+1=2" on CPU A, then I expect that CPU B calculates "1+1=2", too; everytime. Given that CPU B claims having architectural compatibility with CPU A. And no, CPU A is not an Intel CPU.

The BSD dev clearly doesn't know why the CPU in his case behaves the way it does. This can be anything. It can be a bug in the CPU, a bug in the specification, a misinterpretation of the specs, or plain cluelessness.
                      yep, and who is in charge to solve that puzzle?

Comment

Working...
                      X