Ryzen-Test & Stress-Run Make It Easy To Cause Segmentation Faults On Zen CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

you really think a monopole of the right to fix that bug is better for the customers than a customer who can pay anyone who is able to perform the bugfix ?

i think you just fear free market because it maybe is to complex for your thoughts but i am 100% sure open-source allows free market and this is what will fix the bug in the end much better than this closed source model.
    Please take this to a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Can you reproduce the problem with win10?
      The problem can be reproduced in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      (John there's threads you promised to drop an update in and haven't please do so)
      Is "John" in this case me ? If so, I don't think I promised (or even "said") that I would provide an update, just that I would make sure the info and concerns were getting to the right people. I did that, and posted back to confirm it.

If that isn't how you read things could you try to point me to the threads ? Thanks...
      I don't remember such a thing either, and I think I read through all the threads on reddit, Phoronix and Gentoo forums. Closest I could find was this statement:

Originally posted by bridgmanAMD on reddit
      I have asked the engineers working on it if we can arrange some kind of interim update.

But there were no actual promises made about providing an update.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        I'd rather have one undergrad intern at AMD with a modicum of training trying to actually fix the microcode vs. a million Quaridiots drooling over themselves while they chant about open source and do nothing of value.
        You really have quite an eye for people, indeed AMD is doing a wonderful job in not having the slightest idea where the problem lies. If you are incapable of doing anything of value, it doesn't mean everyone else must be like you.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
          Pretty sure that small number of users thing is BS. It happens on my ryzen constantly using gcc.
          Do you believe the vast majority of Linux [or large number of users] actually use GCC? I've got it installed and don't touch it. It's there for other bits that require it for certain side needs. Where's this bug in LLVM/Clang? Is there one?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Do you believe the vast majority of Linux [or large number of users] actually use GCC? I've got it installed and don't touch it. It's there for other bits that require it for certain side needs. Where's this bug in LLVM/Clang? Is there one?
            The bug is in Clang but worse.... I can get twice the number of seg faults when using Clang.... 121 per hour... More details tomorrow. been running tons of tests all day.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The bug is in Clang but worse.... I can get twice the number of seg faults when using Clang.... 121 per hour... More details tomorrow. been running tons of tests all day.
              Michael, maybe you are already doing this. But would be nice to perform the same tests on an Intel and an AMD (no Ryzen) CPU to show that they pass them, while Ryzen fails. This would possibly add to the evidence that the bug is actually in Ryzen (or in the motherboards).
              Last edited by pjssilva; 04 August 2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Can someone tell me why this doesn't happen in windows?

Comment

Michael thanks for bringing this topic to attention.
                  garegin it does. It has been observed with test tools as well as "productive" MSVC workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Is "John" in this case me ? If so, I don't think I promised (or even "said") that I would provide an update, just that I would make sure the info and concerns were getting to the right people. I did that, and posted back to confirm it.

If that isn't how you read things could you try to point me to the threads ? Thanks...
                    "
                    bridgman Why was the initial message you were answering deleted?
                    I don't think it was deleted - still shows for me as post #314, can you check ?
                    amdmatt once said there is no need to open furhter tickets, what to do now?
                    Will ask, stay tuned."
                    I can't type without sounding pissed off, I'm sorry, however "will ask, stay tuned" seems like you would provide information back as to the state of affairs there. Just letting you know they keep waiting for any response.

That said, you're my favorite AMD guy and you've always chatted to us guys which I appreciate. I don't want you to think I think poorly of you just that AMD could ease some minds with even a few small words. I'm happy with my 1800x, not everyone is so lucky and I try to help people it's in my nature, so I apologize for that too., and getting drunk and posting CRAZY youtube comments... however those weren't about AMD lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                      It doesn't happen when using Microsoft Windows. Which is the diametrical opposite of open source.
                      Originally posted by garegin View Post
                      Can someone tell me why this doesn't happen in windows?
                      The problem does happen in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This was confirmed in the AMD community forums and in the Gentoo forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X