No announcement yet.

Ryzen-Test & Stress-Run Make It Easy To Cause Segmentation Faults On Zen CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen-Test & Stress-Run Make It Easy To Cause Segmentation Faults On Zen CPUs

Phoronix: Ryzen-Test & Stress-Run Make It Easy To Cause Segmentation Faults On Zen CPUs

With running a number of new Ryzen Linux tests lately, a number of readers requested I take a fresh look at the reported Ryzen segmentation fault issues / bugs affecting a number of many Linux users. I did and still am able to reproduce the problem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Michael for running these not-so-fun but important tests and spreading the word. It's great to see these issues go from a large number of forum posts to an automated tool that can help illustrate these very serious issues.

I gave you a linked shout-out over on techreport to help spread the word about this and I appreciate that you even re-ran the tests with SMT disabled and lower-clocked RAM to help remove variables from the equation.

Comment

Thanks from me too.. I had no idea it was this common. I used to donate my extra resources to BOINC but stopped because of instability when loading all the cores.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        Thank you Michael for running these not-so-fun but important tests and spreading the word. It's great to see these issues go from a large number of forum posts to an automated tool that can help illustrate these very serious issues.

I gave you a linked shout-out over on techreport to help spread the word about this and I appreciate that you even re-ran the tests with SMT disabled and lower-clocked RAM to help remove variables from the equation.
        I will have more information out later today or tomorrow as well, running several hour long tests in different workload configurations... Now that I can reproduce super-easily via phoronix-test-suite stress-run, encourages me to run more tests whenever it's PTS automated, and being able to show off PTS stress-run capabilities since I don't often get to talk about it too much otherwise.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Good to see at least Phoronix does their job. Haven't seen it reported anywhere else in the media, even though the issue is going on for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I will have more information out later today or tomorrow as well, running several hour long tests in different workload configurations... Now that I can reproduce super-easily via phoronix-test-suite stress-run, encourages me to run more tests whenever it's PTS automated, and being able to show off PTS stress-run capabilities since I don't often get to talk about it too much otherwise.
            Thanks. Just for fun, try firing up the same test on your i9 7900X system and see if it encounters any issues.

Comment

I've run into gcc random crashes on ryzen while compiling Mesa git master just few days ago. At first, I thought it was something wrong with recent code changes, but then I've remembered people talking about issues under load, run the compilation again and it finished just fine.

Comment

Mesa is compiled with Clang. But it also shows the issue, I randomly encountered it when I had a Ryzen R7 1700 and was compiling llvm several times.

Comment

Try disabling uop-cache from BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by qsmcomp View Post
                    Try disabling uop-cache from BIOS.
                    Oh and turn off 7 of the cores!

Comment

Working...
                    X