X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    That proves more that problem is in the open source software.
    In the open source software? Which exactly?
    Is it in the Linux kernel? But WSL/FreeBSD/DragonFlyBSD do not use the Linux kernel.
    Is it in glibc? FreeBSD/DragonFlyBSD use different libc.
    Is it in gcc? clang crashes too.

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
    Surely, you must be aware that's because of the Linux core in WSL and nothing with Microsoft? Fair enough, I'll be more specific: Please point me to an article which shows how to reproduce this bug in Windows, and that's Windows only, not any emulated environment or compatibility layer.
    WSL is not an emulated environment or compatibility layer. It is a subsystem of the Windows kernel which implements the Linux ABI and which was written entirely by Microsoft. (Its origins are reportedly the ill-fated "Project Astoria" which implemented Android app compatibility for Windows Mobile)

Leave a comment:

• Beherit
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post
    garegin it does. It has been observed with test tools as well as "productive" MSVC workloads.
    Can you please paste a link to the report? I've search MSDN forums ever since this was first reported with nothing on this. All I've seen are rumours on the Gentoo forums not saying much else but "a friend of my friend's brother saw a post somewhere he can't remember, that..."

Originally posted by chithanh View Post

The problem does happen in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This was confirmed in the AMD community forums and in the Gentoo forums.
    Surely, you must be aware that's because of the Linux core in WSL and nothing with Microsoft? Fair enough, I'll be more specific: Please point me to an article which shows how to reproduce this bug in Windows, and that's Windows only, not any emulated environment or compatibility layer.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by Beherit View Post
    It doesn't happen when using Microsoft Windows. Which is the diametrical opposite of open source.
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    Can someone tell me why this doesn't happen in windows?
    The problem does happen in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This was confirmed in the AMD community forums and in the Gentoo forums.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Is "John" in this case me ? If so, I don't think I promised (or even "said") that I would provide an update, just that I would make sure the info and concerns were getting to the right people. I did that, and posted back to confirm it.

If that isn't how you read things could you try to point me to the threads ? Thanks...
    "
    bridgman Why was the initial message you were answering deleted?
    I don't think it was deleted - still shows for me as post #314, can you check ?
    amdmatt once said there is no need to open furhter tickets, what to do now?
    Will ask, stay tuned."
    I can't type without sounding pissed off, I'm sorry, however "will ask, stay tuned" seems like you would provide information back as to the state of affairs there. Just letting you know they keep waiting for any response.

That said, you're my favorite AMD guy and you've always chatted to us guys which I appreciate. I don't want you to think I think poorly of you just that AMD could ease some minds with even a few small words. I'm happy with my 1800x, not everyone is so lucky and I try to help people it's in my nature, so I apologize for that too., and getting drunk and posting CRAZY youtube comments... however those weren't about AMD lol.

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Hardware vendors do test their products better than open source software community.
    Really? i think it is just your opinion you have no prove whatsoever for this claim.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Michael thanks for bringing this topic to attention.
    garegin it does. It has been observed with test tools as well as "productive" MSVC workloads.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    Can someone tell me why this doesn't happen in windows?

Leave a comment:

• pjssilva
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

The bug is in Clang but worse.... I can get twice the number of seg faults when using Clang.... 121 per hour... More details tomorrow. been running tons of tests all day.
    Michael, maybe you are already doing this. But would be nice to perform the same tests on an Intel and an AMD (no Ryzen) CPU to show that they pass them, while Ryzen fails. This would possibly add to the evidence that the bug is actually in Ryzen (or in the motherboards).
    Last edited by pjssilva; 08-04-2017, 08:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post

You really have quite an eye for people, indeed AMD is doing a wonderful job in not having the slightest idea where the problem lies. If you are incapable of doing anything of value, it doesn't mean everyone else must be like you.
    yes right... if AMD would be so magically able to fix bugs like that in no time we not even would write about that problem here in the forum.
    but fact is: the more complex a system is the more time and effort a company like amd need to perform to fix a problem like that.
    open-source from the top to the bottom would reduce the complexity and would increase the amount of people who are able to fix the problem outside of AMD itself.

People who attack me because of this fact are really illogical because they as a victim defense there own offender/perpetrator/culprit.
    I think this people just suffer from the Stockholm syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

they are in fact the victims who defend their own culprit.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Do you believe the vast majority of Linux [or large number of users] actually use GCC? I've got it installed and don't touch it. It's there for other bits that require it for certain side needs. Where's this bug in LLVM/Clang? Is there one?
    The bug is in Clang but worse.... I can get twice the number of seg faults when using Clang.... 121 per hour... More details tomorrow. been running tons of tests all day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X