AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & Ryzen 3 1300X Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjssilva View Post
    It would be interesting to know if you can reproduce the problem.
    I +1 this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuliande View Post
      wow! they run great, but what happen with avx? some bug somewhere or just the avx unit in those cpu suck? also i think it will be interesting a comparison bewteen the intel's avx & amd's one with the power consumption of both the platform under load... one little bird had told me the intel one drain a lot...... but maybe is wrong xD
      Ryzen's implementation of AVX is 50% slower than Intel's, this is a well known limitation of the Zen architecture (so far).

Edit: what VikingGe said

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
        Ryzen has half the FMA throughput per core and clock cycle compared to Intel's current lineup. But that doesn't explain the Himeno results. Even the Pentium G4400, which doesn't have AVX and therefore no FMA, destroys Ryzen in that test. And Ryzen does well in some other FPU-heavy workloads.

Still no word from AMD on the compilation segfaults? Guess I'll keep my Phenom II for another year or two then...

Just how the hell do they plan on selling their Threadripper and Epyc products when they aren't even capable of what is an everyday task for some potential customers?
        Well, i forgot they did a double 128 bit floating point unit xD
        On the other hand as you said those result are so strange. As long i remember those fp unit are two for each core, right?
        Also i remeber wrong or the ryzen fpu do not throttle while the last intel one does? I do not wanna be a flamer o shit like that, i just wanna learn more

I think Threadripper and Epyc are already a must have for some companies even with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuliande View Post
          On the other hand as you said those result are so strange. As long i remember those fp unit are two for each core, right?
          Actually four, two of which can do multiplications (among other stuff), and the other two are for additions (again, among other stuff). You might want to check out Agner Fog's microarchitecture manual which analyzes a lot of architectures in great detail.

Comment

Great results!
            Now we want a 1100 Ryzen 3 at 99 euros :-P

Comment

Hm, I'm actually quite surprised how well Ryzen 5 1400 did in comparison, considering that it's basically a 3 1200 with hyperthreading. I didn't expect much of a difference at all, whereas there's a huge improvement in most cases.

So if I was to make a new PC build, looks like a Ryzen 5 would be the sweet spot. But that's not going to happen for at least a few years still.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Hm, I'm actually quite surprised how well Ryzen 5 1400 did in comparison, considering that it's basically a 3 1200 with hyperthreading. I didn't expect much of a difference at all, whereas there's a huge improvement in most cases.
                Don't forget 2x4MB L3 vs 2x8MB L3.

Comment

Hm, I didn't expect my 6600k to win so much on front of these two. Granted, these will set you back about half of what I paid almost 2 years ago...

Comment

I might be blind but we seem to miss kernel compilation now that we have the lower end processors it would be nice for a comparison

Comment

Originally posted by pjssilva View Post
                      I second that, I also have an 1700x that crashes in heavy compilations. ... It would be interesting to know if you can reproduce the problem.
                      +1

I too was disappointed to see no compilation benchmarks as I was thinking of getting a cheap ryzen to offload some compilation to via distcc.
                      And also, why the sudden drop of CPUs in the benchmarks? I think what would be great would be a fixed set of default benchmarks that you run on every single cpu you get your hands on and create a single regularly updated overview/comparison of all those CPUs

Comment

Working...
                      X