AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & Ryzen 3 1300X Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    The benchmarks in this case happen to be irrelevant to the conclusion. I would very strongly suggest that people do not buy any Ryzen CPUs whether it's a new release or previously released till AMD acknowledges and fixes some rather serious flaws with the CPU architecture regarding long term stability and segfaulting while compiling that eventually causes a complete system crash. A couple of hours of compiling software isn't enough to catch the bug. The bug shows up in Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD and it's been determined to not be a software bug. There is no currently reliable workaround and AMD has been mute on the issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/215...t=585&tstart=0

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/sh....cgi?id=219399

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 on an MSI motherboard and I can confirm that my CPU will do the same thing sooner or later with simply building LLVM/Clang with a full thread load -- in my case I was using make -j 24 and crashed with a segfault with a little less than 90 minutes the first time it happened on Ubuntu 17.04.

If you want a box to do compiling loads on get an Intel system, at least till AMD actually fixes this major screw up in QA.
    IIRC, that's an issue caused by the motherboards. Not sure if it has to do with VRMs, sensors, or memory timing.

Edit: Found evidence from the freebsd link you posted:

Originally posted by SF @ Freebsd bugzilla
    SF 2017-06-30 19:48:01 UTC
    I think i solved it. It is related to ram, cpu-power-supply and heat. You must ensure you ram settings arent too fast, it causes your cpu to consume more power and getting high peaks draining the capacitors. Your power-supply might not keep up with this, high ram performance also causes more heat to your cpu. Ensure your cpu gets enough cooling. Adjust the power-supply of your mainboard to ensure your cpu doesnt run out of power at high loads or peaks and you must ensure it doesnt overheat. I somehow found a balance now between all those settings, i get "good" performance and no crashes anymore until yet. With "good" performance i mean something a bit above what ryzen is normally made for.
    Originally posted by SF @ Freebsd bugzilla
    SF 2017-07-02 23:43:03 UTC
    After installing watercooling today i recognised i can change my rymspeed from 2800Mhz to 3200Mhz and being stable. I bought new ram and installed it friday, switched from G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR to G.Skill F4-3600C17D-32GTZR. The new ram did only run with 2800Mhz then with 3333Mhz, now it runs with 3200Mhz and is more stable then the old Ram was. Not a single crash today, at friday it crashed at 3200Mhz 5mins after booting into the desktop. It is what i sayed: It is related to ram, cpu-power-supply and heat. A hardware-problem.
    SF 2017-07-02 23:47:37 UTC
    I installed watercooling yesterday(not today) and switched from 2800Mhz ramspeed to 3200Mhz today, after my last post being disappointed i recognized the system was running in average much more stable even without watercooling.
    Last edited by profoundWHALE; 04 August 2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pjssilva View Post

Do you have a reference for the kernel fixing the Freeze in Idle? That would be great.
      bridgman said so in another post:
      I'm at my wits end, and don't know where else to post for help. I've scoured the web looking for answers, and have found nothing. So first some info: I have a

Originally posted by pjssilva View Post
      So an RMA looks more like a lottery. And you get all the hassle and downtime.
      From the reports in the AMD community forum thread, if the first replacement from RMA does not fix the problem, the customer service rep will try to reproduce your issue with the second replacement on the exact same setup (CPU/mobo/RAM) to make sure that it doesn't happen on AMD's side before shipping it out.

Also I think that AMD sends out the replacement CPU first, and you send back the defective one afterwards. So no downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        bridgman said so in another post:
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/node/955203
        I'm not sure it was the idle freeze that was fixed in later kernels, but a lot of "freezes" apparently were.

Will see if I can dig up more details over the weekend.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Unless you are mesa developer, there is no sense to compile mesa. Use Debian testing compatible distro and Oibaf or Padoka ppa Mesa. Many users have no problems with Ryzen 1700 with long compile projects. Buggy software that you use can cause segfault.
          I'm running Gentoo, so I have a rather good reason to compile Mesa: I want OpenGL to work on my system.
          Also:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They haven't offered me any review samples and I have no extra funds available, so probably not.
            A8-9600 APU is much cheaper.
            Too bad 16 gigs of RAM are very expensive, next to it! 8GB would be a slight downgrade for me considering graphics memory would be taken from the 8GB.

Otherwise, it has GCN 1.2 graphics, quad core and is cheap. I wonder if you can play CS:GO, CS:S etc. well or just demanding emulators.. CPU is relatively weak.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

A8-9600 APU is much cheaper.
              Too bad 16 gigs of RAM are very expensive, next to it! 8GB would be a slight downgrade for me considering graphics memory would be taken from the 8GB.

Otherwise, it has GCN 1.2 graphics, quad core and is cheap. I wonder if you can play CS:GO, CS:S etc. well or just demanding emulators.. CPU is relatively weak.
              CS:GO runs okay on Phenom II X4 (mine is 955BE), but seems to be severly limited by CPU on Core 2 Duo (I had E8500), which is interesting since AFAIK they have similar single threaded performance. CS:S should run well on both, but I doubt that demanding emulators run well on anything but Ryzen or some Core i because they need good IPC. I suppose A8-9600 is at least slighly faster than my Phenom II.

Edit: Actually it's probably somewhat faster, since it is excavator. I'm guessing it'll run CS:GO fine, but you should check reviews or tests first and not rely on my word.
              Last edited by Tomin; 05 August 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Well sometimes Excavator beats Kaveri (A10-7850, A8-7600 etc.), sometimes it is just identical, overall might be a bit worse than an FX 4300.

If I were a millionaire I might go with i3-7350K and 32GB RAM (2x16GB)! Just kidding, that one is simply "premium priced".

Interesting bit about that recent CS game (well, maybe it came out a few years ago), I got out of games in part because a poor dual core dual thread would all too easily get murdered in games, imagine with something about 80% or 70% as fast as an E8500. I guess there was a somewhat poor conventional wisdom ; i3 2100, i3 3220 now that was surely better but that's far more beefy than a regular plain old dual core.

Even with a game that don't really need a quad core I suppose you have to run the kernel, the graphics driver and on linux the Xorg process.

Comment

Working...
                X