AMD Reveals First ThreadRipper Prices, Early August Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    Quite a lot of pro-intel bias in reviews thou, as everyone has their tongues up intel's ass, like anand, who decided that an accurate measure for SQL performance would be a database a few megabytes in size, because that's the kind of databases 64 core 128 thread 512 gigs of ram servers handle in real life, right?
    They had a habit of running damn-near 100% verbatim Intel ad copy as articles on their site. It was insufferable during the SSD and ARM (vs. Haswell) days.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      As I have always said: the moment AMD approaches Intel's performance, they'll approach Intel's prices, too. First, because that's how a business works and second, because they could really use the cash.

Of course, the price/performance ratio is still better, depending on your needs, but we're still talking $1k CPUs here.
      True to some extent. They have to lift margins off the "no pulse" level, but this is not price gouging. Chip is still smoking hot _for_the_price_.
      €1k is lot of money, but 1950 is helluva chip.

Two r7 dies of the highest bin with activated all extra candies ( extra lanes, IF links etc) on the interposer & chip of the size of minigolf field.

It's just a little over what you'd pay for two 1800x.
      That's a bargain. You get inter die links for free and your machine behaves like real 16-core !

If just the MoBos with radical VRM that would enable good OC come out, this would instantly become a no brainer.

It used to be that if you need many cores, you have to be robbed for server parts and live with low clocks.
      Not anymore. Prices are low and overclocking is in every chip's nature.

Only one thing is left sticking out like poisonous thorn - gcc bug.
      They'll ofcourse sort it out ( they have to), probably through microcode patch or something...

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Oh I have the workload. But I can get a 5 year old refurb 12c/24t Westmere-EP complete system for less than 1 Threadripper CPU. So I can process 80% of the workload for 50% of the cost.

I have no ego to soothe by saying I have the latest, there has to be value too. I will probably go back and look at the Ryzen again. Probably the 5, it seems to have the best sweet spot.
        1. Apples and oranges. If used stuff covers your needs, fine. But I don't see how is this manufaacturers fault- what should they have done - lower their prices below those of used gear on Ebay ?!?

2. I have similar equation , as probably many others. Recently I've needed cheap compile box, so I've bought essentially FX-8350 with a board, took everything else from my garbage bin, overclocked it a bit and voilla - compile box for a fist of nickels.
        But that doesn't make new generation look ridiculous. Just the opposite. Something like 1950x could be great step-up, especially when they sort-out initial- niggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

1. Apples and oranges. If used stuff covers your needs, fine. But I don't see how is this manufaacturers fault- what should they have done - lower their prices below those of used gear on Ebay ?!?

2. I have similar equation , as probably many others. Recently I've needed cheap compile box, so I've bought essentially FX-8350 with a board, took everything else from my garbage bin, overclocked it a bit and voilla - compile box for a fist of nickels.
          But that doesn't make new generation look ridiculous. Just the opposite. Something like 1950x could be great step-up, especially when they sort-out initial- niggles.
          To me workload is workload, it's all the same, apples and apples.

Not ripping the Ripper, just saying it doesn't work for me (yet).

Lower than eBay? You missed the point. There is a difference between value and cost.

Comment

OK. I was just responding to initial post, which could be understood as that it did not take AMD long to transform from your best pal on a social support to esoteric prostitute, snapping every coin she can.

It is heap of coins, but then again its ridiculous amount of first-rate silicon, designed and baked in state-of-the art facilities through a decade of painstaking work...

Comment

As I have always said: the moment AMD approaches Intel's performance, they'll approach Intel's prices, too.
              Using Cinebench R15 as a measure of performance as in the video, we get

AMD 1950X: $999, 3062 points, 3.065 points/$
              AMD 1920X: $799, 2431 points, 3.043 points/$
              Intel 7900X: $999, 2196 points, 2.198 points/$

Seems that AMD is still pretty far away from Intel's prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

True to some extent. They have to lift margins off the "no pulse" level, but this is not price gouging. Chip is still smoking hot _for_the_price_.
                €1k is lot of money, but 1950 is helluva chip.
                I never said it's price gouging. I only implied it's a price level I simply have no interest in.

Comment

I'm not sure what parts you're talking about. On second reading, I'm not sure what you're referring to at all.
                  So your post was just a complicated way to say " it's a price level I simply have no interest in." (as said in the last post of yours in this thread?

If that's the case, I think you would need to practice your writing skills as me and other posters thought you were complaining about price gouging or that the price for these high-end parts is too high in general for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Oh I have the workload. But I can get a 5 year old refurb 12c/24t Westmere-EP complete system for less than 1 Threadripper CPU. So I can process 80% of the workload for 50% of the cost.
                    Really?And how is that a better deal?

1 - the market is not exactly overflowing on complete 12c/24t Westmere-EP systems below 1k, but if you have a source, please share with us
                    2 - it is a used product, and it was likely used 24/7 for its entire warranty period, so reliability is highly questionable, I personally never buy used, much less at "throw away" prices
                    3 - highly doubt 2x6 core Westmere-EP will hit anywhere nearly 80% of TR's performance, more like 50%, 60% at best
                    4 - while providing roughly half of TR's performance, it will use double the power, so prepare for about 1/4 of the power/performance of RT, and electricity costs money too you know

So yea, your "superior" choice of a hypothetical refurbished server will end up burning through that 300$ that are choking you in no time, as your alleged workloads will have half the throughput per unit of time at double the power usage.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      So your post was just a complicated way to say " it's a price level I simply have no interest in." (as said in the last post of yours in this thread?

If that's the case, I think you would need to practice your writing skills as me and other posters thought you were complaining about price gouging or that the price for these high-end parts is too high in general for some reason.
                      I wasn't trying to point out my own preferences, I was just saying: when AMD's performance is in the same league as Intel, so is their pricing. As opposed to some people's expectations that AMD will simply massively lower prices across the board.

Comment

Working...
                      X