X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Kernel compilation tests are coming in another article. They weren't included here due to some impact on SSD/I/O perf and different SSDs used.
    WTF, shouldn't you run the kernel compilation in tmpfs? What's the point in using an SSD as a storage?

Leave a comment:

• mitch074
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    x2, last time I overclocked a CPU was my Celeron 300A, from 300 Mhz to 466 Mhz, back in 1998. I have no interest in overclocking. System instability, higher power consumption, and shorter component life to get 2 fps better in some game? Uh.... no thanks.
    Been there done that to my Cely 300A too, except I've kept doing it on AMD CPUs for the last 15 years - they do have a tendency to overclock well. The worst I had from AMD was a Duron 950 (frequency wouldn't go up), but I suspect the motherboard was mainly at fault there. I also did overclocks on 1600 MHz Sempron64 (up to 2400MHz, rock stable that were used daily for 5-6 years), a X2 3800+ ([email protected], +20%) and a X4 620 ([email protected] on stock voltage). As I buy quite a lot of DVDs and BDs and systematically archive them with x264, it's quite frequent that I keep a PC running on all cores for hours on end - as such stability (and heat) is paramount.
    I'm looking at the Ryzen 1700 with quite some interest, but I'll probably wait for Zen 2 as my current rig is still valid (Core i5 [email protected] GHz with 16 Gb of 2400MHz DDR3) and with the prices of RAM and GPU being what they are these days, building a new rig would be expensive.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Umm... my R7 1700 is still stock speed. Note: Not everyone overclocks. Some just want to get work done without having to wonder why their system just locked up.
    x2, last time I overclocked a CPU was my Celeron 300A, from 300 Mhz to 466 Mhz, back in 1998. I have no interest in overclocking. System instability, higher power consumption, and shorter component life to get 2 fps better in some game? Uh.... no thanks.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Lower single thread performance are mainly because of lower frequency, in some tests it loses to Intel CPU's (AVX) in some wins over 7700k even, that doesn't mean much tho, it's still great CPU, and well worth upgrade from the old FX series (especially 4000-6000). That said, single threaded performance are just fine, i7-3700/4700 CPU's are still good CPU's, and for this price, R5 1400 doesn't have competition to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    It's time for me to build a new AMD-only gaming PC. Now if only bitcoiners did not buy any and all Polaris cards in existence...
    Agreed. I'm wanting to see what the landscape looks like after RX Vega is released, and what I can get for the right price. I had been planning on buying a RX 480/580 after the inevitable drop in MSRP, but the coin miners won't let that price adjustment ever hit retail, unless they abandon the RX 4xx/5xx series in favor of Vega.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Including overclocked results too would be nice, considering that barely anyone runs a Ryzen at stock speed.
    Umm... my R7 1700 is still stock speed. Note: Not everyone overclocks. Some just want to get work done without having to wonder why their system just locked up.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    It's time for me to build a new AMD-only gaming PC. Now if only bitcoiners did not buy any and all Polaris cards in existence...

Leave a comment:

• Niarbeht
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    if AMD can reduce the cache latency in low freq RAM from 100+ ms to let say 70- ms, Thread Ripper will tear a new one to most Intel HEDT CPU's and improve a hell lot in single thread operations, can't wait for it
    I suspect you mean ns, not ms.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    My overall impression of Ryzen as a product, even though I don't have my own yet, is it seems like the fabrication process is pretty decent. I've read alot of articles and my impression is good. Although I still think a CMT core with three integer units per pipeline built on this process would have beaten these Zens like a dead horse and we can picture where that would leave Intel's products.... hehe.

Well done with the fabrication process. About fing time.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    if AMD can reduce the cache latency in low freq RAM from 100+ ms to let say 70- ms, Thread Ripper will tear a new one to most Intel HEDT CPU's and improve a hell lot in single thread operations, can't wait for it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X