Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Developers Hope Their Port Will Land In Linux 4.13

Phoronix: RISC-V Developers Hope Their Port Will Land In Linux 4.13

RISC-V developers have posted their fourth revision to the kernel patches porting the Linux kernel to this royalty-free CPU instruction set architecture. The developers are hoping this code will be pulled into Linux 4.13, but it's not yet clear if that will happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope so too, can't wait to see more RISC-V progress, and being able to base work on the upstream kernel will be a boon for productivity I think.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      I hope so too, can't wait to see more RISC-V progress, and being able to base work on the upstream kernel will be a boon for productivity I think.
      Having finally a usable, affordable, non-proprietary ISA would be nice indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Having finally a usable, affordable, non-proprietary ISA would be nice indeed.
        I think SPARC and POWER are kind of non-proprietary too.
        I am not sure exactly, but they are more open than ARM and x86.
        They used to be proprietary, but Sun and IBM opened them too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think SPARC and POWER are kind of non-proprietary too.
          I am not sure exactly, but they are more open than ARM and x86.
          They used to be proprietary, but Sun and IBM opened them too.
          Older versions of SPARC are somewhat open; but POWER is still exactly as closed as ARM. The only difference for POWER is that they might be a bit faster to grant you a license if you "become a member".

RISC-V is actually open, and unlike OpenRISC, it's a good design for a very wide array of different applications. RISC-V is the only contender right now where companies are allowed to publish the RTL of their cores, and willing to develop them in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X